Re: War Pension

  • John Sek
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 1999
      Hi Tim:

      My reference to land grant was more as way of an example. I believe
      land grants were given on both sides of the border for various
      locations /enlistment groups as a form of getting the required
      strength. I am sure that other options may also have been employed
      and I would like to hear of these as well. The person who asked me
      this question, used the term War Pension referring to a government
      pension offered after the war to veterans and particularly to the
      widows of fallen soldiers.

      As you are suggesting, this may not have been done, which I tend to
      agree.

      How about it group, any other comments?

      The Siege of Fort Erie - War of 1812 http://www.iaw.com/~jsek
    • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 1999
        In a message dated 8/3/99 8:44:28 PM Central Daylight Time, jsek@...
        writes:

        << As you are suggesting, this may not have been done, which I tend to
        agree.

        How about it group, any other comments? >>

        When it comes to pensions for the men I have the circulars for 1806 and the
        book of the new regulations introduced in 1829. Interestingly the fictional
        example used in the latter is the ubiquitous Thomas Atkins and his enlistment
        date is taken as 1806.