Fort Meigs week-end

  • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2004
      On behalf of the 41st Regiment of Foot I would like to express my deepest appreciation for an excellent
      week-end at Fort Meigs.
      To the site organizers, the Crown Forces Staff, the US Staff, the regiments present from both side, that
      amazing artillery, the cavalry - and, of course, those excellent fifes and drums who sound wonderful - a
      great Huzzah. I sincerely apologise if any are left off this list.
      His Excellency, General Pickles' horse pooped in the 41st Street, and I wish to assure him it was not
      taken personally. Our indomitable Pioneer Woods cleaned up the mess without a fuss.
      The battle choreography in such a good expanse of ground, with movement of regiments, wings and
      detachments was a thrill.
      All in all a very memorable. A toast to all.
      Ray Hobbs
      CO 41st Regt
      Hamilton, Ontario
    • Ross Flowers
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2004
        Your kind words of "The Drums, Crown Forces" is very much appreciate
        Ray. WE also had a great time. Wonderful opportunity to meet new
        people and greet old friends. See you all soon.

        Drums

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
        > On behalf of the 41st Regiment of Foot I would like to express my
        deepest appreciation for an excellent
        > week-end at Fort Meigs.
        > To the site organizers, the Crown Forces Staff, the US Staff, the
        regiments present from both side, that
        > amazing artillery, the cavalry - and, of course, those excellent
        fifes and drums who sound wonderful - a
        > great Huzzah. I sincerely apologise if any are left off this list.
        > His Excellency, General Pickles' horse pooped in the 41st Street,
        and I wish to assure him it was not
        > taken personally. Our indomitable Pioneer Woods cleaned up the mess
        without a fuss.
        > The battle choreography in such a good expanse of ground, with
        movement of regiments, wings and
        > detachments was a thrill.
        > All in all a very memorable. A toast to all.
        > Ray Hobbs
        > CO 41st Regt
        > Hamilton, Ontario
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2004
          I would like to also add my thanks to all. Thank you to all of the command
          staff for the US Army and the Crown Forces. The Drums, you are UNIQUE!
          The Fort was great to us, plenty of wood, clean toilets except for the war
          paint in the sink ;-) the museum is first rate. We had seperate
          accomodations for Natives, Artillery, US INF and Crown Forces, and Sutlers
          all in one fort. The only things that I was disappointed in was the number
          of units that were not there. That was a let down to the hobby.
          The artillery was incredible. You know when a tree branch breaks from
          firing a blank that it's a REALLY BIG GUN!!! It was so cool the Grenadiers
          didn't mind getting destroyed by it! We formed a really big square enough
          to fit two horses on top of the usual "soft cookie filling". Though the
          ensuing artillery barrage probably caused the untimely death of the Serjeant
          Major, and there was much...rejoicing...I mean crying and nashing of teeth.
          Good bye RSM you will be missed.
          Saturday evening saw the gala world premier of...veggie tales? and the
          feature film "First Invasion; The War of 1812" Boy did we ever look good!
          The drill was superb, although the 89th still has some penance to work off
          for that gate thing!! The light infantry was huge!!! and I mean in
          numbers!! WOW!
          The Grenadier and Light companies were each the size of a half a company.
          The drum head service was wonderful and I would like to thank Mr Hobbs for
          his hard work.
          I was glad the rain held back until most of the tents were down. Oh BTW way
          Tim how was the cajun bratwurst? Only my cowardice prevented me.

          I was glad to meet some faces since I knew the names. I got to meet the
          PEGGY MATTHEWS!!! It was comforting to know she wasn't just Mike's alter
          ego, but really his other half!! Steve Allie, Dancing Bob, Dave and Sally
          it was a privelage to meet you.

          Again, if you missed it I am truly sorry. The professionalism and true
          respect and friendship that has developed in this hobby was evident by
          seeing red coats, green coats, blue coats, and war paint gathered around
          every fire in every street. We were only enemies in the eyes of the battle
          spectators.

          For those that don't understand this email it could only mean you weren't
          there!

          Thank you I appreciated meeting every one of you.
          I remain...

          Kevin Windsor, Capt
          89th Reg't Grenadiers

          p.s. how does the cabbage get chewed anyway?
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1 7:51 AM
            In a message dated 5/31/04 9:46:21 AM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

            > His Excellency, General Pickles' horse pooped in the 41st Street, and I
            > wish to assure him it was not
            > taken personally. Our indomitable Pioneer Woods cleaned up the mess without
            > a fuss.

            Merely providing the encampment with free high quality fertilizer for use or
            trade with the locals. Lert it never be said that I don't think of the men's
            welfare!

            I wouls like to thak everyone for the great efforts for a great weekend.
            Colonel Twist did a great job as always, I can honestly say that because of
            his efforts this was the most relaxed event for me in years.
            The last apearance of Sgt Maj Hartwick was a moving experience. But before
            his return to the ranks he did sterling and groundbreaking work. The square with
            drums and mounted staff inside was a first we will all remember.
            The lights did a sterling job with great kudos to the officers and ncos, the
            melding of the Glens and 95th under Steve Allie went particularly well.

            The USA troops under Steve Abolt (also mounted) were, naturaly splendid and
            he and all his officers and men are to be highly commended.

            Literaly 'a great time was had by all' and I for one look forward to the next
            time.

            Cheers,

            Tim

            Timothy Pickles
            1100 Rue Chartres
            New Orleans
            Louisiana 70116
            Tel & Fax: 504 522 4822
            Mobile: 504 236 7130

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1 8:03 AM
              In a message dated 5/31/04 2:15:14 PM, kevin.windsor@... writes:

              > I was glad the rain held back until most of the tents were down.  Oh BTW
              > way
              > Tim how was the cajun bratwurst?  Only my cowardice prevented me.

              Me too! Cajun food from Ohio? With the best will in the world I think the
              best choice was the German bratwurst was the sensible choice.