after hours authenticity

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 1999
      Now Dan, when have you ever seen me, atleast, take it this far? I didn't
      mean drop all pretence of where we are at. I was refering to the appearance
      of instruments on the scene and things of that nature. I still sit on the
      ground by the fire and my feet still have my brogans on.

      And if the Nikes are offensive to you at night then what happens when you
      see someone with them on during the day. There are guys that wear them.

      Someone doing something like this bothers me as well. When I spoke of
      relaxing a bit... I meant exactly that... a bit. We drink beer, and it may
      not make it into a mug now, we eat cheese and you may still get to see the
      wrapper. That is what I meant.

      I'm sure you weren't suggesting that it was me or my unit that did this
      because I wouldn't tolerate it in my area of the camp. But even if there
      wasn't visual pollution like this around wouldn't it still be hard to grasp
      that all elusive moment as you walk past a camp and hear someone talking
      about Clinton's latest escapades or the depletion of the ozone.

      Sean Hirst
      Chosen Man - Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Lt. Coy
      Private - Glengarry Light Infantry
      *********************************
      945-0591
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 1999
        --- Sean <shirst@...> wrote:

        > Now Dan, when have you ever seen me, atleast, take
        > it this far? I didn't
        > mean drop all pretence of where we are at.

        Sean,
        sorry if you took my comments personally, it wasn't
        intended that way.
        my point is that instead of easing off the
        authenticity after all the tourists leave, we should
        all strive to crank it up a notch. the last
        reenactment i attended was particularly bad in this
        respect and if i'm faced with the option of choosing
        that event over another next year, guess what?
        i have no problems with quiet non-period conversations
        around campfires. hell, that just adds to the
        ambience. and i could care less what you've got in
        your mug, just please don't leave the cans & bottles
        laying out in plain sight. (i'm not saying YOU
        personally Sean, just a general observation.)

      • Sean
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 1999
          Dan,

          Didn't take it personally at all.

          I was just saying that my unit tries to avoid degenerating to that level.
          At most of the events that I go to it's very hard to hang on to the
          ambiance that you are talking about with cars whizzing past and people
          yelling out their windows. At those events I find it isn't worth the
          effort. I have, however been to a few events where we have been far from
          any outside influences and these are usually the events where we put a
          serious effort towards maintaining that historical feel. One of partuicular
          note for me was the Penetanguishene row down the Nottawasoga a few years
          back. We were out of the way, far from any city sitting in the middle of an
          over grown field with a river running past that was full of period boats.
          We sat around a fire on the ground with our packs and blankets and shared
          Screech out of a period bottle. A most excellent time if ever there was one.

        • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 1999
            In a message dated 04/8/1999 4:18:57 PM, musketballs@... writes:

            >i have no problems with quiet non-period conversations
            >around campfires. hell, that just adds to the
            >ambience. and i could care less what you've got in
            >your mug, just please don't leave the cans & bottles
            >laying out in plain sight.

            I agree completely. In fact in our Unit it is written policy that after hours
            the "no modern items in sight" rule still goes (which includes cans, bottles,
            bags, cartons, cigarettes or whatever). If someone has to have a Diet Coke,
            OK, but it goes into a period vessel and the can disappears. Cigarette? --
            Off he goes out of the camp to enjoy. There is nothing hard about it, it's
            simple to do, and as long as everyone already knows it is what is, then it
            is. If you follow....

            Cheers!
            http://hometown.aol.com/ninety3rd
            THE Thin Red Line

            P.S. We were at an event this year where the organizers had sent out a
            "Guidelines" sheet for authenticity. Included was an item on cigarette
            smoking as we have above -- out of camp, out of sight. But this particular
            Guideline included with cigarettes "cigars" in the "not accurate" category.
            So naturally at every opportunity I made sure I had a smoldering cheroot
            clinched in teeth or fist. Why, you ask? In hopes that whatever addled
            brained nincompoop had come up with that one would say something to me about
            it and I could launch into all the footnoted, documented instances of British
            officers (at least) having and smoking cigars during the period, and in all
            sorts of circumstances and conditions. That and the history of cigars, going
            back to Columbus...
            Of course, as with most such anticipated events, I was never allowed to have
            me jollies fulfilled...