Re: white belts

  • AdC Crown Forces
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2004
      "howard" <howardsimcoe@h...> wrote:

      How would one whitten cross belts and not have it come off on our
      red coats???

      HOWARD

      I just did my white buff belt.

      A little WOOLITE in a saucer with just a touch of water
      use a tooth brush and brush the dirt away

      Don't wet yhe belt too much , more suds

      Yrs,

      L2
    • colsjtjones2000
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2004
        Another suggestion, which I have used on my more than 20 years old
        belting. Wipe the dirt/marks off with a moistened rag. Apply a
        light coating of Kiwi white shoe polish. (I find Kiwi is not as
        thick as others on the market and at all costs you want to prevent a
        build up which cracks over the years.) When dry lightly brush with a
        suede brush. That also reduces build up. It does give a slight
        sheen, which I suppose the farbys would denigrate. But it does keep
        the rough polish from depositing itself on your tunic. I understand
        the original/historic pipeclay did tend to make a mess of
        tunics. Doug

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "AdC Crown Forces" <lalozon@n...>

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2004
          In a message dated 5/27/04 4:21:20 PM, howardsimcoe@... writes:

          > Now that we know how they did in Afganistan.
          > How would one whitten cross belts and not have it come off on our red
          > coats???
          >
          > HOWARD

          It did come off on the coats! The soldiers knew exactly how much to put on to
          whiten the belts without it comming off too badly. As soon as they came off
          parade they brushed their uniforms untill they were clean. Much of the time of
          a soldier in barracks was taken up in maintaining kit, there was no magic
          formula by which a soldier looked smart or 'soldierly' it was constant hard slog,
          nothing more. It is amazing how good a body can look if the whole of ones day
          is spent on drill and maintaining kit!

        • cpl_kings_own
          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2004
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "colsjtjones2000"
            <colsjtjones2000@y...> wrote:
            > Another suggestion, which I have used on my more than 20 years old
            > belting. Wipe the dirt/marks off with a moistened rag. Apply a
            > light coating of Kiwi white shoe polish. (I find Kiwi is not as
            > thick as others on the market and at all costs you want to prevent
            > build up which cracks over the years.) When dry lightly brush
            with a
            > suede brush. That also reduces build up. It does give a slight
            > sheen, which I suppose the farbys would denigrate. (snip)

            Actually the pipeclay was supposed to have a semi-glazed finish due
            to the material known as "blue stone" added to it (not sure what it
            is known as today), as an attempt at making pipeclay water-
            resistant.

            A good substitute for pipeclay nowadays is outdoor semi-gloss white
            (or buff) latex paint. The only difference is the carrier, latex,
            which makes the coating permanent. Otherwise, this paint is
            basically liquid pipeclay.

            If the paint cracks, I just put some medium grade sandpaper on a
            wood block and go over the painted sides of crossbelts after having
            laid them out on a table. I get the paint sanded down so that it is
            at the same level of the cracks, and repaint, good as new.

            Or, additionally, one could use real pipeclay, if one can find it.

            Roger Fuller
          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2004
              List,

              Crazy Crow Trading Post has balls of pipe clay. They can be found by a
              Google search.

              Regards,

              Bob Dorian
              [Pv't. J. Thompson, Cap't Lewis' Co. of Northwestern Discovery]