Re: Another question- In my mind I really am 4

  • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
      In a message dated 03/8/1999 9:35:39 AM, mmathews@... writes:

      >Ever had the conversation; "May I take your picture? My
      >picture, you mean you want my portrait? Why, uh, yes. Sorry, I don't
      >have
      >time to sit for a painting." I have, and it's just one example of how
      >they
      >intrude into the illusion.

      I have also answered with, "Sorry, I don't have one with me, and where would
      you be taking it to anyway?" Talk about blank looks....

      http://hometown.aol.com/ninety3rd
      THE Thin Red Line
    • Gary Stephens
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 1999
        Betsy et al,

        >???? Which is more important in our hobby-- authenticity or accessibility?

        Authencity for Gary and me. We've been down the slippery path of
        accessibility in other re-enactment groups. By the time you've slid down it
        there isn't much left of authenticity because we're all trying not to
        offend anyone new who wants to play. Not that I'm trying to be a facist, or
        anything. But rules are rules. I'm afraid getting over 40 and grey hairs
        tend to make one a bit crusty.

        I get really disgruntled when I see a coke can in the hands of a
        re-enactor, be it during or after public hours. I start to grumble loudly
        when I see a re-enactor in civilian clohes before and after public hours. I
        really get down right POed when I have to face someone's vehicle on site
        before and after public hours. And if I have to listen to some sort of rap
        boogey from my neighbour's tent before or after public hours, you may have
        to face a truly righteously angry Lorina. I'm not an old mom for nothing,
        you know. :)

        > Is
        >there a difference between the authenticity we show to the public and the
        >authenticity we share amongst ourselves?

        For us, no. It's the best we can accomplish 100% of the time. And
        it's fun. Every year we make a new list and 'hit' things we think we could
        improve upon for the upcoming season. A chair. Reconstructing a bench
        because it has modern carriage bolts. All kinds of stuff. Besides, if we
        didn't do that we'd have time on our hands, and then the neighbours really
        would not be safe.

        >Is there a difference between being
        >accessable to the public and acccessible (and joinable) as a hobby?

        Yes, there's a difference. I think being accessible to the public
        requires a certain amount of not only interpretive skill, but social skill,
        and patience. I often hear the scorn in people's tones when they speak of
        'stupid' questions the public asks. Frankly, Gary and I don't run into
        stupid questions. Now, I don't know if that's because we're: a/stupid
        ourselves; b/draw a different set of hangers-on; c/are too enthusiastic.
        Who cares the reason? We take the attitude there is no such thing as a
        stupid question. Rather, questions are a demonstration of true interest,
        and to some extent, courage, because one always runs the risk of making
        oneself look a fool for asking a rather elementary question. What to us may
        seem patently clear, to the general public may not. To be truthful, Gary
        and I have met some of the most fascinating people through the cooperage
        and embroidery shop, people with fascinating histories and fascinating
        stories to tell.

        Accessability to other potential re-enactors is different in that,
        to my way of thinking, all we do is answer questions about how to get
        started. And no, we don't cut any slack when it comes to the monetary
        commitment required to pursue this sort of hobby. For us, there's no such
        thing as 'good enough', because good enough isn't. Sure we may discuss an
        acceptable compromise as an entry level, but that compromise is so far
        beyond what some re-enactment groups would consider acceptable. Do it as
        right as possible and in the long term a person will save money, because
        you won't have to go out and acquire endless upgrades. Besides, it's a
        matter of personal pride, of workmanship, and that's what we attempt to
        convey to novice re-enactors. And we quite candidly point out what in our
        own kit isn't right or shouldn't be around, in our opinion, and express
        that our view is only one view and not necessarily 'correct'.

        And of
        >course, why.... and how do these two factors impact one another?

        Don't see how they do impact. Course, maybe that's Lorina being
        obtuse again.

        Loved your 'being there' story, BTW, Betsy. Fascinating.

        Lorina
        who has very big clay feet

        Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage,
        period furniture & fine hand-sewn garments ~ e-mail: lgsteph@... ~
        website: http://www.historicmerchants.com/fiverivers