authenticity or accessability

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 1999
      Besty and List,

      I'm with Scott... For me I strive for 100% during the day. I'll play as
      much of the soldier as anyone else. There are some exceptions that I will
      make... for instance when it is 90+ degrees I will be out in shirt sleeves
      and straw hat(which for the period is wrong) but in the interest of
      personal health (avoiding heatstroke) this is the only way to go.

      As far as camp equipment goes it all depends on the event. At Stoney Creek
      my family is there so we have more extraneous kit to bring but anything
      that is not period we try to keep hidden (other than some of my sons toys).
      At night we relax the standard a bit and some modern food, snacks and
      drinks may appear. I have done some very hard core events where we carry
      everything we need and march or row into position.

      I strive for authenticity out of personal enjoyment and pride. I've found
      in my years of reenacting that the public don't care a great deal about
      whether your coat is hand sewn or not. There is the odd person who has a
      genuine interest but they are rare.

      We also don't lower the bar for anyone entering our group. It takes just as
      much work to make a uniform properly as it does to do otherwise so it may
      as well be done right the first time. We are lucky in our unit in that
      everyone in the group can make something so any new recruit dosen't have to
      buy very much from the sutlers. A new recruit and his fighting order a
      tip-top from the first time he marches.

      Sean Hirst
      Chosen Man - Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Lt. Coy
      Private - Glengarry Light Infantry
      *********************************
      945-0591
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 1999
        Sean wrote ..
        > At night we relax the standard a bit and some modern
        > food, snacks and drinks may appear.

        Whoa Sean, you struck a nerve with this one. I think
        my biggest pet peeve as a re-enactor is seeing the
        camp chairs & relaxed dress code come out when the
        tourists go home. Really the only time we re-enactors
        have a chance to experience those "special moments"
        where we're surrounded by authenticity IS AFTER the
        tourists leave. Nothing gets my goat worse than seeing
        somebody slip on Nikes and turn on the tape player
        while his tenage kids completely forsake the period
        costumes.