magic moments

  • Gary Stephens
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 1999
      In light of the nifty stories being shared regarding why we all do
      this thang, I wondered if any of you might be willing to share any moments
      you might have experienced when for just that fraction of time you were
      back in history?

      I have two, one in 1812, one in medieval, I'd like to launch off with:

      Last year at Stoney Creek Gary and I, after an exhausting Education
      Day (such rude children!) treated ourselves to an evening stroll about the
      camp. At length we found ourselves on the hill by the house, overlooking
      where the British camp was setting up. As some of you may recall there's a
      venerable willow by the house. And something about the light and the
      woodsmoke caused one of those rare moments. For just a breath of time all
      the traffic disappeared. The willow was still venerable. And there, below
      us, some sargeant yelled out orders to his men and red coats went
      scrambling. It wasn't a lot. But we turned and looked up to that incredible
      willow and realized it was likely a grand tree when the battle took place.
      If it could speak, what would it say? It made us feel very small and
      insignificant.

      The other moment was at a large medieval thang in Pennsylvania.
      Gary portrays a 14th century archer. This one morning he was going off to
      practice, dressed all in hose and jupon, with the longbow he'd made slung
      over his shoulder and his linen quiver of entirely hand-wrought arrows at
      the small of his back. The way the early sun shafted through trees seemed
      for a moment to transport me. There was my husband striding off to battle
      along the dirt path. I could believe that. And it was a marvel.

      All insignficant things, but all moments that compell us to
      continue to re-create history.

      Lorina

      Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage,
      period furniture & fine hand-sewn garments ~ e-mail: lgsteph@... ~
      website: http://www.historicmerchants.com/fiverivers