Re: Fw: Privately Owned Rev War.War of 1812 Sites

  • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 1999
      In a message dated 30/7/1999 5:49:30 AM, scottj@... writes:

      >The park rangers at these events were obnoxious
      >
      >and condescending. At some times, they were power hungry bullies, always
      >
      >demanding cooperation from us, but giving nothing in return.

      Oh I can certainly believe it, I have met the type -- and not just at NPS
      sites wearing Ranger uniforms either....
      ;-)

      In fact, early on at Chalmette we had one or 2 of the type at one time or
      another in one form or another. Sometimes, it's not really the person, it's
      the "bean counter" mentality (as Wellington would have said) that has been
      handed down to them by all the forms-in-triplicate and other such government
      mickey mouse ways of running things. We had one such "b-counter", who is
      actually a nice guy when not counting the beans, saying a bunch of "you can't
      do this and that...and.. if you want to be invited back" stuff to our Sgt. in
      one of the first years. Our sergeant looked at him and said, "Fine. You see
      all these Brit soldiers? All this camp? And that all of this traveled at
      least 9 hours or more without any return compensation just to be here? Keep
      acting just like that and NONE of this will be here next year or any other
      year, 'cause we all have better places we can go without being treated like
      dirt." The fellow shut his mouth, and never mentioned anything like it
      again. For that matter, no one else there ever has either.

      Of course, sometimes you get lucky....

      http://hometown.aol.com/ninety3rd
      THE Thin Red Line