Re: The "C" in Welch

  • debsfuller
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
      > As for the name being a marketing ploy - there's a little more to
      it that that. T.B. Welch was born in
      > England in 1825, emigrated to the US and developed "unfermented
      sacramental wine" by using Louis
      > Pasteur's process of "pasteurising'. In the late 19th century
      the "wine" was changed to "grape juice",
      > and put on the open market. It proved extremely popular as a soft
      drink, and the rest, as they say, is history.

      Ah, my old fundy church said that Welch was a winemaker and felt
      sorry for an alcoholic in his church that wouldn't take communion
      because of the wine. Welch created his non-alcoholic grape juice for
      this man so he could take communion and thus to this day, most
      protestant churches use grape juice (aka "Methodist wine") for
      communion instead of alcohol. This was also one of their
      justifications for not drinking.

      On they said that candy canes were really candy "J"s for Jesus too.

      Go fig.