Re: [WarOf1812] The "C" in Welch

  • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5 7:48 AM
      One small footnote re: Welch and Welsh. The 16th City of Cardiff Battalion of the Welsh Regiment,
      which was raised during WW1 wore "WELCH" on their shoulder flashes before 1920, also keeping the
      old tradition alive.

      As for the name being a marketing ploy - there's a little more to it that that. T.B. Welch was born in
      England in 1825, emigrated to the US and developed "unfermented sacramental wine" by using Louis
      Pasteur's process of "pasteurising'. In the late 19th century the "wine" was changed to "grape juice",
      and put on the open market. It proved extremely popular as a soft drink, and the rest, as they say, is
      history.

      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt. CO
      Hamilton, UC

      > From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
      > Date: 2004/04/05 Mon AM 10:28:12 EST
      > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] The "C" in Welch
      >
      > "Larry Lozon" wrote:

        Commander Hobbs is a WELCHMEN !
      (note spelling ...)

      From: "debsfuller" <debsfuller@...>

                 He makes grape juice?
      ----------------

          For  Deb et al:

            The "C" in Welch

         In 1702, the spelling "Welch" was common usage, but was swept away during
      the 18th Century by "Welsh". The Royal Welch Fusiliers
      (23d Regiment of Foot)Regiment, however, stuck resolutely to the old
      spelling, although it was not until 1920 that they persuaded the War Office
      to agree with them.  "Welch" has been used by most Welsh Regiments.

      http://www.cwreenactors.com/%7Ecrimean/23ddoc.htm

      I believe the juice company used the spelling as a retail ploy!

      Yh&os

      L2
      Sapere Aude

    • debsfuller
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 8:49 AM
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:

        > As for the name being a marketing ploy - there's a little more to
        it that that. T.B. Welch was born in
        > England in 1825, emigrated to the US and developed "unfermented
        sacramental wine" by using Louis
        > Pasteur's process of "pasteurising'. In the late 19th century
        the "wine" was changed to "grape juice",
        > and put on the open market. It proved extremely popular as a soft
        drink, and the rest, as they say, is history.

        Ah, my old fundy church said that Welch was a winemaker and felt
        sorry for an alcoholic in his church that wouldn't take communion
        because of the wine. Welch created his non-alcoholic grape juice for
        this man so he could take communion and thus to this day, most
        protestant churches use grape juice (aka "Methodist wine") for
        communion instead of alcohol. This was also one of their
        justifications for not drinking.

        On they said that candy canes were really candy "J"s for Jesus too.

        Go fig.

        Deb