The "C" in Welch

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
      "Larry Lozon" wrote:

      Commander Hobbs is a WELCHMEN !
      (note spelling ...)

      From: "debsfuller" <debsfuller@...>

      He makes grape juice?
      ----------------

      For Deb et al:

      The "C" in Welch

      In 1702, the spelling "Welch" was common usage, but was swept away during
      the 18th Century by "Welsh". The Royal Welch Fusiliers
      (23d Regiment of Foot)Regiment, however, stuck resolutely to the old
      spelling, although it was not until 1920 that they persuaded the War Office
      to agree with them. "Welch" has been used by most Welsh Regiments.

      http://www.cwreenactors.com/%7Ecrimean/23ddoc.htm

      I believe the juice company used the spelling as a retail ploy!

      Yh&os

      L2
      Sapere Aude
    • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
        One small footnote re: Welch and Welsh. The 16th City of Cardiff Battalion of the Welsh Regiment,
        which was raised during WW1 wore "WELCH" on their shoulder flashes before 1920, also keeping the
        old tradition alive.

        As for the name being a marketing ploy - there's a little more to it that that. T.B. Welch was born in
        England in 1825, emigrated to the US and developed "unfermented sacramental wine" by using Louis
        Pasteur's process of "pasteurising'. In the late 19th century the "wine" was changed to "grape juice",
        and put on the open market. It proved extremely popular as a soft drink, and the rest, as they say, is
        history.

        Ray Hobbs
        41st Regt. CO
        Hamilton, UC

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:

          > As for the name being a marketing ploy - there's a little more to
          it that that. T.B. Welch was born in
          > England in 1825, emigrated to the US and developed "unfermented
          sacramental wine" by using Louis
          > Pasteur's process of "pasteurising'. In the late 19th century
          the "wine" was changed to "grape juice",
          > and put on the open market. It proved extremely popular as a soft
          drink, and the rest, as they say, is history.

          Ah, my old fundy church said that Welch was a winemaker and felt
          sorry for an alcoholic in his church that wouldn't take communion
          because of the wine. Welch created his non-alcoholic grape juice for
          this man so he could take communion and thus to this day, most
          protestant churches use grape juice (aka "Methodist wine") for
          communion instead of alcohol. This was also one of their
          justifications for not drinking.

          On they said that candy canes were really candy "J"s for Jesus too.

          Go fig.

          Deb