.... regarding vodka

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 8:44 AM
      "J.Bruce Whittaker" wrote:

      " ... spray the smelly garment with vodka.

      From: "debsfuller" <debsfuller@...>

      " ... "Fresh Again"....works better than Frebreeze ...
      natural fabrics don't get nearly as smelly ...

      -----
      Depending where you live.......
      hanging your "natural fabric" clothes [another reason not to use poly]
      outside to air out will do the same.

      A quick 'anti-smelly' spray .......
      a teaspoon of Javex (Canadian) Clorox (USA)
      in a litre (Canadian) quart (USA) of water.
      Spray lining - not the "RED" "GREEN" or "BLUE" wool!!!

      For the subscribers from UK, New Zealand, Japan, etc. .
      ....... 'household bleach'

      Yh&os

      L2
    • Kevin & Allison Windsor
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 2:46 PM
        also you can use 90% alcohol (available at LCBO or booze store with permit) and mix it half and half with water.
        I used this on a WWI bed kit that hadn't been aired out since WWI finished and had this fungus stuff growing on it, and it smelled fresh as leather and canvas could after
        85 years. They don't sell it over the counter because the rummies would try to buy it and it's not really drinkable and would taste a lot worse than mouthwash!!
        However, if you are not fortunate enough to work at a museum just use undiluted rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. It will get the stink out, and if you bring it to
        events you can spray it on your feet to kill foot odor and fungus!

        Cheaper than Vodka and why waste good stuff to get drunk on!!

        Kevin
        (who sometimes does real work at the museum!)

      • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 3:03 PM
          Oh, the Horror, the Horror (apologies to Captain Kurtz)
          What a waste of good alcohol!
          Have to protest ,sirs, just have to protest. What is the world coming to?

          A good airing of the redcoat etc. would do it, I am sure - tried it many times and no one in my vicinity
          has complained or fainted.

          Ray Hobbs
          41st Regt
          Head of the Lake
          Upper Canada

          > From: Kevin & Allison Windsor <kevin.windsor@...>
          > Date: 2004/04/01 Thu PM 05:46:07 EST
          > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] .... regarding vodka

        • Susan Spencer McLean
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1 5:09 PM
            You can also use a spritzing of undiluted rosewater (followed by drying
            on a clothesline), if you can't bring yourself to use alcohol. This is
            particularly effective on smoke odours. Or, for those who prefer a
            longer-lasting scent, a good quality linen water (which does contain a
            smidge of 100 proof alcohol) will also do the trick.

            (And you can get both at your friendly neighborhood sutlery . . . !! ;-) )

            -- Sioux
            --

            Mrs. McLean's Mercantile
            www.MrsMcLeansMercantile.com <http://www.mrsmcleansmercantile.com>

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1 5:29 PM
              From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

              " ... you can use 90% alcohol (available at LCBO or booze store with permit)
              and mix it half and half with water... use undiluted rubbing alcohol in a
              spray bottle.
              __________

              Kevin

              ALCOHOL - 95* LCBO 500 mL bottle Price $ 20.15

              For the subscribers from UK, New Zealand, Japan, etc. .
              LCBO = Liquor Control Board of Ontario.
              In the Province of Ontario in Canada we do not have privately
              owned liquor stores all are owned and operated by the Provincial
              Government

              Rubbing Alcohol 500 mL bottle Price $ 8.95

              Wal-Mart Household Bleach 5L bottle Price $ 1.76

              Do the math .......

              Cheaper yet: Ray Hobbs writes

              A good airing of the redcoat etc. would do it,
              I am sure - tried it many times .......

              or of course use a bottle of
              JAIME 1 BRANDY MIGUEL TORRES 750 mL $ 139.00

              .................... :*)
            • Kevin & Allison Windsor
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1 6:31 PM
                only field officers can afford that!!

                Larry Lozon wrote:

                > or of course use a bottle of
                > JAIME 1 BRANDY MIGUEL TORRES 750 mL $ 139.00
              • John E Greig
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1 8:57 PM
                  It is amazing how tactfull us English can be !!!!!

                  Squire John
                  A good airing of the redcoat etc. would do it, I am sure - tried it many times and no one in my vicinity
                  has complained or fainted.

                  Ray Hobbs
                  41st Regt
                  Head of the Lake