Item of interest regarding vodka

  • J.Bruce Whittaker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
      Greetings List,
      I was at a museum studies course in Stratford over the past three
      days and we got a bonus in way of a tour of their archives and
      costume storage facility. Anyway we were told that one way that they
      get rid of body odour on costumes is to spray the fabric with vodka.
      Potato based vodka apparently works best.
      They just use a vapouriser type sprayer and spray the smelly garment
      with vodka. So if you have a garment that you can't wash or dry clean
      often perhaps the Stratford vodka spray system may be just the thing.
      I know it seems a waste of alcohol but it is only vodka after all not
      12 year old single malt Scotch.
      Best regards,
      J. Bruce Whittaker
      Norfolk Militia
    • glifencible
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
        I use Dryel to wash all of my reenactment stuff. Just throw all the
        stuff in the supplied bag with the towlette thing, put it in the dryer
        for 30 minutes and voila... even got out the mustard and pizza stains!

        So far, I've washed my uniform 3 times without any problems*.

        *use at your own risk
      • mark dickerson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
          Wash?!? You mean I was s uppose to be washing this stuff? My Sgt's tunic
          is 11 years old now. Maybe THAT"S why they promoted my out of the ranks
          into the officer's world! Hmmmmmm...
          Mark D

          > I use Dryel to wash all of my reenactment stuff. Just throw all the
          > stuff in the supplied bag with the towlette thing, put it in the dryer
          > for 30 minutes and voila... even got out the mustard and pizza stains!
          >
          > So far, I've washed my uniform 3 times without any problems*.
          >
          > *use at your own risk
        • debsfuller
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@r...>
            wrote:

            > They just use a vapouriser type sprayer and spray the smelly
            garment with vodka. So if you have a garment that you can't wash or
            dry clean often perhaps the Stratford vodka spray system may be just
            the thing. I know it seems a waste of alcohol but it is only vodka
            after all not 12 year old single malt Scotch.

            Hehehe, that trick has been known for years in the theater world.
            Another product if you don't want to sacrifice your vodka is
            called "Fresh Again". It works better than Frebreeze, which IMHO,
            doesn't do a darn thing.

            I don't like the Dryel brand drying cleaning stuff because of the
            heavy perfumes. You can sometimes find another brand which is
            unscented or not as scented which works just as well and doesn't
            leave a heavy odor. But I'd also follow up with the vodka or fresh
            again around the underarms and collar area.

            Surprisingly, I have found that natural fabrics don't get nearly as
            smelly and wash out cleaner than the new microfiber coolmax type
            fabrics that are out there. I have a few microfiber shirts that I got
            for sailing and it doesn't matter how much deodorant I use, as soon
            as I start sweating, I feel rank. But if I have on cotton t-shirts, I
            feel fine. I use them all the time at the barn during the Summer and
            get really grubby but never feel stinky. (Of course, sweaty horses
            might be masking how bad I really smell too. ;)

            Deb
          • glifencible
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
              > I don't like the Dryel brand drying cleaning stuff because of the
              > heavy perfumes. You can sometimes find another brand which is
              > unscented or not as scented which works just as well and doesn't
              > leave a heavy odor. But I'd also follow up with the vodka or fresh
              > again around the underarms and collar area.

              It's better than smelling the guys beside me... besides, after
              sitting next to a fire for 5 minutes everything smells like smoke
              anyway. :)