Re: OT: St. David's Day

  • Len Heidebrecht
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Well done Peggy,

      I have a few add ons.

      > St David's Day is celebrated in Wales on 1 March, in honour of Dewi
      Sant or
      > St David, the patron saint of Wales. Little is known about him for
      certain

      It should be remembered that his family was very well placed. His
      brothers Lewi and Hewi, who had great potential as military leaders
      though unfortunately no-one could understand them due to speech
      impedimates, ended as Duck-a-la-Turnip (oranges not having been
      introduced to Europe as yet.) So, they were Ducs hoisted by their own
      canard as it were.
      Grandfather Scrooge McDuck, from the Scots lands was well known for
      his frugality and was once nominated for sainthood by getting blood
      from a stone.
      Donald and Daisy were known as sad creatures unable to wear clothing
      on their nether regions and as such are often regarded by some
      segments of the historical community as mystics and by others as
      perverts.
      Cousin Daffi was just a loony completely tuned out from society.

      > My father's side is pure Welsh, so:

      You can get an ointment for that.

      >His mother
      > was called Non,

      Just say No!

      and his father, Sant, was the son of Ceredig, King of
      > Ceredigion.

      A rather ir-religious name if I do say so myself.

      > performed when he was preaching at the Synod of Llanddewibrefi -

      Say that five times fast (thatthatthat -thankyou)

      > How much truth is in this account of his life by Rhigyfarch is hard
      to tell.

      Ummm, can I hazard a guess?

      >From this period on, he was frequently referred to
      > in the work of medieval Welsh poets such as Iolo Goch and Lewys
      Glyn Cothi.

      Translates as 'Lewi-without-Clothes,' an old family trait.

      > In 1398, it was ordained that his feast-day was to be kept by every
      church
      > in the Province of Canterbury.

      Strangely some people can't abide Canterbury but should quickly trot
      off to see it.

      > Now March 1 is celebrated by schools and cultural societies

      Not an oximoron I'll have you know!

      >It is custom to wear a leak or a daffodil, two of our national
      emblems -

      I saw someone wearing a brea on his head once. Sorry Craig.

      and for young girls to wear the national
      > costume.

      And others wear?

      > Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality. The Dali
      Lama

      Share your humour, the Dali Lama laughs too.

      Cheers,

      Len