OT: St. David's Day

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      My father's side is pure Welsh, so:

      St David's Day is celebrated in Wales on 1 March, in honour of Dewi Sant or
      St David, the patron saint of Wales. Little is known about him for certain.
      What little information we have is based on an account of his life written
      by Rhigyfarch towards the end of the 11th century.

      According to this Latin manuscript, Dewi died in the year 589. His mother
      was called Non, and his father, Sant, was the son of Ceredig, King of
      Ceredigion. After being educated in Cardiganshire, he went on pilgrimage
      through south Wales and the west of England, where it is said that he
      founded religious centres such as Glastonbury and Croyland. He even went on
      a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, where he was made archbishop.

      He eventually settled at Glyn Rhosyn (St David's), in south-west Wales,
      where he established a very strict ascetic religious community. Many
      miracles have been attributed to him, the most incredible of which was
      performed when he was preaching at the Synod of Llanddewibrefi - he caused
      the ground to rise underneath him so that he could be seen and heard by all.
      How much truth is in this account of his life by Rhigyfarch is hard to tell.
      It must be considered that Rhigyfarch was the son of the Bishop of St
      David's, and that the Life was written as propaganda to establish Dewi's
      superiority and defend the bishopric from being taken over by Canterbury and
      the Normans.

      From the 12th century onwards, Dewi's fame spread throughout South Wales and
      as far as Ireland and Brittany. St David's Cathedral became a popular centre
      of pilgrimage, particularly after Dewi was officially recognised as a
      Catholic saint in 1120. From this period on, he was frequently referred to
      in the work of medieval Welsh poets such as Iolo Goch and Lewys Glyn Cothi.
      In 1398, it was ordained that his feast-day was to be kept by every church
      in the Province of Canterbury. Though the feast of Dewi as a religious
      festival came to an end with the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century,
      the day of his birth became a national festival during the18th century.

      Now March 1 is celebrated by schools and cultural societies throughout
      Wales. It is the custom on that day to wear either a leek or a daffodil -
      two of our national emblems - and for young girls to wear the national
      costume.

      Reprinted from the website of the
      National Museums and Galleries of Wales

      Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality. The Dali Lama

      Say �good-bye� to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial
      offer! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/
    • Len Heidebrecht
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Well done Peggy,

        I have a few add ons.

        > St David's Day is celebrated in Wales on 1 March, in honour of Dewi
        Sant or
        > St David, the patron saint of Wales. Little is known about him for
        certain

        It should be remembered that his family was very well placed. His
        brothers Lewi and Hewi, who had great potential as military leaders
        though unfortunately no-one could understand them due to speech
        impedimates, ended as Duck-a-la-Turnip (oranges not having been
        introduced to Europe as yet.) So, they were Ducs hoisted by their own
        canard as it were.
        Grandfather Scrooge McDuck, from the Scots lands was well known for
        his frugality and was once nominated for sainthood by getting blood
        from a stone.
        Donald and Daisy were known as sad creatures unable to wear clothing
        on their nether regions and as such are often regarded by some
        segments of the historical community as mystics and by others as
        perverts.
        Cousin Daffi was just a loony completely tuned out from society.

        > My father's side is pure Welsh, so:

        You can get an ointment for that.

        >His mother
        > was called Non,

        Just say No!

        and his father, Sant, was the son of Ceredig, King of
        > Ceredigion.

        A rather ir-religious name if I do say so myself.

        > performed when he was preaching at the Synod of Llanddewibrefi -

        Say that five times fast (thatthatthat -thankyou)

        > How much truth is in this account of his life by Rhigyfarch is hard
        to tell.

        Ummm, can I hazard a guess?

        >From this period on, he was frequently referred to
        > in the work of medieval Welsh poets such as Iolo Goch and Lewys
        Glyn Cothi.

        Translates as 'Lewi-without-Clothes,' an old family trait.

        > In 1398, it was ordained that his feast-day was to be kept by every
        church
        > in the Province of Canterbury.

        Strangely some people can't abide Canterbury but should quickly trot
        off to see it.

        > Now March 1 is celebrated by schools and cultural societies

        Not an oximoron I'll have you know!

        >It is custom to wear a leak or a daffodil, two of our national
        emblems -

        I saw someone wearing a brea on his head once. Sorry Craig.

        and for young girls to wear the national
        > costume.

        And others wear?

        > Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality. The Dali
        Lama

        Share your humour, the Dali Lama laughs too.

        Cheers,

        Len