Re: [WarOf1812] Military anachronisms in "The Passion"

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1 5:32 AM
      In a message dated 2/29/04 12:56:27 PM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

      > Tim:
      > I made no request to compare movies. That was, I recall, Kevin Windsor, of
      > the 89th.
      > regards
      > Ray

      Sorry Ray, I thought you asked why I thought anachronisms were unacceptable
      in M&C but ok in The Passion.

      But the reason remains the same.

      Kindest regards,

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1 5:53 AM
        In a message dated 2/29/04 5:28:57 PM, kevin.windsor@... writes:

        > If you can forgive the Passion for being 100 years out of date on something
        > as simple as a uniform because it
        > was a great story you can surely forgive M&C for using a round shot and not
        > a chain because of the equally great story (I suspect since I still haven't
        > seen either!)

        Kevin:

        All I can say is to repeat what I said to Ray when I was under the mistaken
        impression that he, rather than you, asked the question. When you actualy see M&
        C I think you will see what I am getting at. The story is not that
        complicated, in fact the plot could be written on the back of a postcard, the great
        thing about the film was the detail, and the publicity emphasised this. All the
        more reason then that when glairing anacronisms apeared they were like being
        doused in cold water.

        As for the other kind of story, the best histotical one in this vein is (in
        my opinion) the 1968 'The Charge of the Light Brigade'. The 'anachronisms'
        abounded but they allowed a story that covered about 10 years to be told in a
        short time and by the time the 'charge' took place we had virtualy everyones
        backstory in place. The only unacceptable thing about the film for me were uniform
        changes instited on by the director.

        Cheers,

      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1 11:18 AM
          Guys,

          I know that just hitting reply is so easy. PLEASE take this endless
          argument about movies OFF OF THIS LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          Enough already.

          Bob Dorian