Re: Multi-period Silliness....Oh, the humanity!

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 1999

      >*Various snippage for brevity*
      >
      >Hey, let's make sure everyone has the appropriate wormload. We've got to
      make sure everyone has period parasite infestations, not to mention the odd
      'interesting skin
      >diseases'. *G*

      Jeez, I guess I'm all set. The heartbreak of psoriasis, bad teeth, foot
      problems, failing vision, and a hangnail. Hay fever too.

      >At one point, I did reenact 'Silly War', before the politics overcame the
      fun. I remember reading an article documenting speckleware production in
      Germany beginning in
      >the 1840 (iirc), well before the war. This led several individuals to
      declare themselves German and drag it along.

      I thought about doing ACW once. Then I thought again.....still, there must
      be some good units in it though, although I hear some interesting stories.
      Why does everybody from up Nawth and abroad seemingly want to be a
      Confederate?

      >Unfortunately, I find this to be a form of a
      >distressing syndrome in the hobby, crossing period lines. It takes two
      major forms:

      >1) The 'here it is' form. A handful of documented instances of 'X', which
      is then justified by a large minority, or a majority to display.

      One man's documentation is another man's rationalisation, sometimes. It's
      also sometimes a matter of "What is Hip?" Reenacting goes through fads, too.

      >2) The 'that's all there is' form. A documented instance of 'Y' being
      taken as canon. This one is probably my favorite *NOT*. The best instance
      of this is the 'leader
      >type' that decides all soldiers would set equipment up in the field 'by the
      book', no deviations.

      What was the name of that album by Guns N' Roses? "Use Your Illusion"? :^)
      Yeah, "Yes, Minister" logic is everywhere: My dog has four legs; that cat
      has four legs. Therefore, my dog is a cat.....

      >No solutions offered, just a bit of humour, and an observation or two.

      Same here. BTW, where I come from, we use blue speckleware for targets at
      the shooting range.... :^)

      >Night all,
      >
      >Dave

      Don't let the bedbugs bite! :^)

      RF
    • DM Carpenter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 1999
        Roger Fuller wrote:

        > Jeez, I guess I'm all set. The heartbreak of psoriasis, bad teeth, foot
        > problems, failing vision, and a hangnail. Hay fever too.

        Yes, but keep that Carpal Tunnel Syndrome at home!

        > I thought about doing ACW once. Then I thought again.....still, there must
        > be some good units in it though, although I hear some interesting stories.
        > Why does everybody from up Nawth and abroad seemingly want to be a
        > Confederate?

        People want to be the best. *G*
        Seriously, there is a group now calling themselves 'hardcore'. You wouldn't believe what they do.
        As this is out of period, email me privately and I can elaborate. You won't know to laugh or
        gawk in amazement.

        > Same here. BTW, where I come from, we use blue speckleware for targets at
        > the shooting range.... :^)

        In WWII Navy, we just 'shoot' at Japanese aircraft. *G*

        > >Night all,
        > >
        > >Dave
        >
        > Don't let the bedbugs bite! :^)

        I sleep in the late 20thC thankyouverymuch. *G*

        Dave

      • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
          In a message dated 7/27/99 11:29:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
          fullerfamily@... writes:

          << 2) The 'that's all there is' form. A documented instance of 'Y' being
          taken as canon. This one is probably my favorite *NOT*. The best instance
          of this is the 'leader
          type' that decides all soldiers would set equipment up in the field 'by the
          book', no deviations. >>

          There is of course the middle ground which personally I am a proponent of.
          Tat the troops know how to set it up by the book but do it 'field style' for
          most displays, not bothering to even learn how to do it right in the first
          [place is the slippery slope to sloppiness.
          I remember in the very early days of the NA we would have people ask if they
          could turn up in campaign dress of greatcoat and shako. Of course having done
          this once they were very reluctant to get any more gear. We soon brought in a
          rule of full dress first THEN campaign gear.