Re: [WarOf1812] The British capture New Orleans.

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
      Hi L²,

      While canoeing in the boundary waters on MN we encountered a large moose
      swimming and then up the bank and into the wilderness. Boy Scout trip
      with my son in the late 1980's. Really big animals!

      While we were doing out swim test, a big ole sow bear attacked the over
      seas bag with out food. The other adult leader, the guide and I scared
      her off by throwing rocks. She had a cub with her and it ran when we
      threw the first rock, but she just kept trying to tear the canvass open.
      Not much fun standing dripping wet in your skivies throwing rocks at a
      300 pound bear! ;-( We moved on to another camp site and had no more
      trouble with bears.

      Regards,

      Bob
    • Angela Gottfred
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
        Nope, Meese don't swim that well. Newfoundland was blissfully moose-free
        until some were brought over on boats to improve the hunting. Polar bears,
        on the other hand, swim the Straits of Belle Isle regularly.

        Your humble & obedient servant,
        Angela Gottfred
      • petemonahan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
          In a message dated 2/4/2004 6:21:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          lalozon@... writes:

          > do Mooses even swim?

          L2

          Moose swim real good, actually - not graceful, but they do get there. I know
          dis 'cause I met one in mid lake once. I'm not sure which of us was more
          surprised. Still, better than the time the wife and former swetheart and I -
          that's 2 people, not 3 - canoed around a corner in a very Small stream and met a
          very Large moose actually straddling the stream! Luckily, he left quietly
          before I had to change my trousers. He ran up the right-hand side of the stream
          , though :)

          PM

        • ebclemson
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
            Larry, Larry,

            There ain't no Moose in Nawlins, not unless it is dead and floated down the Mississippi River.

            Perhaps we should be asking if the Gators would be swimming on the right or the left of the River?

            Should we ask Steve Allie to comment?

            He could tell us about the Allie - Gator.

            Sorry, weak moment. DB 1st US

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
              From: "ebclemson" <ebclemson@...>

              There ain't no Moose in Nawlins, not unless it is dead and floated down the
              Mississippi River. Perhaps we should be asking if the Gators would be
              swimming on the right or the left of the River? Should we ask Steve Allie
              to comment? He could tell us about the Allie - Gator.
              Sorry, weak moment. DB 1st US
              _____

              Sir,

              You win!!!!

              Take any car in the parking lot

              and be sure to

              charge a case of your favourite drink

              to Captain Gratiot, Corps of Engineers.
              wile he is off dancing with the pretty ladies

              The damn snow plow has passed leaving

              a two and a half foot snow/ice drift at the

              end of the driveway, where is that Doc Waterloo

              when you need a hand to shovel!!!

              Angela, did you party in the kitchen in Newfieland?

              We need more new subscribers to take

              advantage of ..............

              L2 :*)

              PS: loved the Al E. Gator thingie!!!!
              but do believe he now wears green,
              so an Allie Kermit does not have the same ring .........
            • PEGGY MATHEWS
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
                PS: loved the Al E. Gator thingie!!!!
                but do believe he now wears green,
                so an Allie Kermit does not have the same ring .........

                Wot, wot, wot!! No frogs in 1812. Not proper, says so in the scriptures. (twitch)

                M.M.

              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
                  Hey Capt. Dave,

                  I wear a pair of Allie-Gators!

                  Dr. Bob
                • d015349c
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 5, 2004
                    Odd Gruppe here, 'eh wot?

                    I coulda sworn I would have suffered the wrath of Heaven for the Tim
                    Horton comment...

                    but it's degenerated into Moose Talk...

                    Oy!

                    ; ) !

                    Andrew
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 5, 2004
                      In a message dated 3/02/2004 4:33:51 PM, koala4eva2003@... writes:

                      > Okay, lets say that if the British captured New Orleans,what would
                      > happen. Some people say the war would continue, others say the British
                      > would just leave,and some say theyt would use the city to contain the
                      > expansion of US. What's your opinion?

                      Do you have any hope left that anyone even remembers your original question?

                      Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out my hat!

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com

                    • Rob Taylor
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 5, 2004
                        93rd SHRoFLHU THE Thin Red Line wrote:

                        Do you have any hope left that anyone even remembers
                        your original question? Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a
                        rabbit out my hat!

                        LOL! Good one! LOL!

                        Rob Taylor

                        =====
                        War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                      • suthren@magma.ca
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 5, 2004
                          My understanding of the British Government's strategy by 1814 was that
                          territorial conquests or places occupied were intended to give the UK
                          bargaining chips in the upcoming negotiations, which the Brits hoped would
                          clear up some border difficulties (like the long northern spike of the Maine
                          border) while getting things back to what they really wanted, which was the
                          US as a trading partner, raw material supplier, and market for British
                          goods. Prevost's attack south with Wellington's 12,000 veterans that turned
                          back after Plattsburg was not meant to 'conquer' the Americans---Wellington
                          had already told them that was impossible---but secure negotiating
                          advantage, encourage New England separatism, and generally make things tough
                          for Madison and Gallatin, who were by this time virtually bankrupt.
                          McDonough won a deserved victory at Plattsburg, which was a product of his
                          intrepidity, good leadership, the fighting courage of his crews, and the
                          role Prevost played in forcing Pring and Downie into action before they were
                          ready, and then both not supporting his attack, and retiring
                          unnecessarily---to the contempt of his army--- when it failed. Prevost's
                          army of tough regulars would have gone through Winder, Covington and
                          Macomb's militias like a hot knife through cheese, but Prevost didn't use
                          them to get what he was supposed to: a bargaining position. Pakenham's task
                          at New Orleans was essentially similar, and (I stick my neck out here) he
                          played into Jackson's hands by subjecting his disciplined troops to the
                          effects of the motley defense force's greatest strengths, which was
                          marksmanship and volume of fire from a prepared position. In a
                          European-style linear tactics fight in the open Jackson would have lost in
                          ten minutes, and he knew that. Jackson fought his battle very well, playing
                          to his strengths, and Pakenham did not achieve what he was meant to get: a
                          blue chip for the bargaining table.

                          Yours aye
                          Vic

                          > Do you have any hope left that anyone even remembers
                          > your original question? Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a
                          > rabbit out my hat!
                          >
                          > LOL! Good one! LOL!
                          >
                          > Rob Taylor
                          >

                          > =====
                          > War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

                          > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

                          square miles...

                        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 5, 2004
                            In a message dated 2/5/04 7:18:50 PM, niagara_falls_98@... writes:

                            > Do you have any hope left that anyone even remembers
                            > your original question? Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a
                            > rabbit out my hat!

                            And as Bulwinkle said "See a pin and pick it up, and all the day you'll have
                            a pin!"

                          • raytownmason
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 6, 2004
                              Gentlemen,
                              Having purused the digest today I have become inspired... as far as
                              steak and kidney jambalya goes, Mr. Dorian be careful what you ask
                              for......

                              Dave Hinkley
                              Fat Little Pudding Boy
                            • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 6, 2004
                                Pudding Boy,

                                I just said to remember the steak & kidney jambalaya! I did not, I
                                repeat NOT ask for some!!!!!!!

                                Dr. Bob
                              • Charles Redmond
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 6, 2004
                                  Hello, Vic!

                                  You most wisely wrote:

                                  "...Prevost's attack south with Wellington's
                                  12,000 veterans that turned
                                  back after Plattsburg was not meant to 'conquer' the
                                  Americans..."

                                  Thankfully!

                                  Or, else...

                                  at this point I'd be speaking...

                                  "English"?...

                                  (*JUST* "kidding"... I've been a "lurker" on this list
                                  for a few years... have enjoyed the banter back and
                                  forth...)

                                  Charlie "Red"

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 6, 2004
                                    Thankfully is right, Charlie. America is a Good Thing, to paraphrase someone
                                    presently in the news....
                                    Vic