Re: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      Good point, Bob.
      Vic

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <dancingbobd@...>
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 5:45 PM
      Subject: Re: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

      > Greetings from the icy Heart of America,
      >
      > Let's look at the positives. Russel Crowe got nominated for the leading
      > male actor, which will get the movie back into theaters. People will
      > see characters dressed quite like us. Maybe a good opportunity for
      > recruitment. I, like Ray, saw and enjoyed the movie. I portray a
      > surgeon, and didn't go on about self surgery. Enjoy the good! Don't
      > obsess over what is less than historically correct. It's just a movie.
      > ;^)
      >
      > So far the great snow storm is still 100 miles west of KC and we
      > continue to have freezing rain/drizzle and sleet.
      >
      > Warm regards,
      >
      > Bob Dorian
      > Surgeon 14LD, US Engineer & Tanguero

      square miles...

    • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        Brian;
        In the interview with Ridley Scott (it was his first feature movie), he mentions that the whole thing was
        done for $900,000, and with a cast of 20-30 extras.
        Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the wearing of red trousers for the
        7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket worn. the reason was that
        the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were still wet!!!!
        Just shows, though what can be done with a director intent on making an historically accurate movie.
        Others in this style are "Vatel", and "Ridicule" - earlier period, but excellent.
        Ray

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          In a message dated 2/1/04 6:31:48 PM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

          > Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the
          > wearing of red trousers for the
          > 7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket
          > worn. the reason was that
          > the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were
          > still wet!!!!

          Well, as I recall, the general was a 'General of Division' (two lines of gold
          embroidery & 2 stars on the eps) but has a general of Brigades sash (shot
          through with blue not red). But it was a magnificent film ans one where the
          technical advisor and costume designer knew their jobs and were allowed to do them.
          If only they were all so good!

          Timothy Pickles
          1100 Rue Chartres
          New Orleans