RE: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

  • Smaller, Brian C
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      Ray

      In 'The Duellists', Keith Carradine played de Hubert (I think that was his
      name) and a youngish Harvey Keitel the other cavalryman. It also had Albert
      Finney, Edward Fox and Tom Conti. THere were a lot of other well known
      English actors as well, but my mind has gone blank. Pete Postlewaite was
      one I think. I remember watching it once and having a book on Napoelonic
      Hussar uniforms open and the uniforms were surprisingly good! Your mate did
      a good job.

      I actually felt cold in the Retreat from Moscow segment!

      Brian

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        Good point, Bob.
        Vic

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          Brian;
          In the interview with Ridley Scott (it was his first feature movie), he mentions that the whole thing was
          done for $900,000, and with a cast of 20-30 extras.
          Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the wearing of red trousers for the
          7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket worn. the reason was that
          the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were still wet!!!!
          Just shows, though what can be done with a director intent on making an historically accurate movie.
          Others in this style are "Vatel", and "Ridicule" - earlier period, but excellent.
          Ray

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
            In a message dated 2/1/04 6:31:48 PM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

            > Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the
            > wearing of red trousers for the
            > 7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket
            > worn. the reason was that
            > the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were
            > still wet!!!!

            Well, as I recall, the general was a 'General of Division' (two lines of gold
            embroidery & 2 stars on the eps) but has a general of Brigades sash (shot
            through with blue not red). But it was a magnificent film ans one where the
            technical advisor and costume designer knew their jobs and were allowed to do them.
            If only they were all so good!

            Timothy Pickles
            1100 Rue Chartres
            New Orleans