Re: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      Greetings from the icy Heart of America,

      Let's look at the positives. Russel Crowe got nominated for the leading
      male actor, which will get the movie back into theaters. People will
      see characters dressed quite like us. Maybe a good opportunity for
      recruitment. I, like Ray, saw and enjoyed the movie. I portray a
      surgeon, and didn't go on about self surgery. Enjoy the good! Don't
      obsess over what is less than historically correct. It's just a movie.
      ;^)

      So far the great snow storm is still 100 miles west of KC and we
      continue to have freezing rain/drizzle and sleet.

      Warm regards,

      Bob Dorian
      Surgeon 14LD, US Engineer & Tanguero
    • Smaller, Brian C
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        Ray

        In 'The Duellists', Keith Carradine played de Hubert (I think that was his
        name) and a youngish Harvey Keitel the other cavalryman. It also had Albert
        Finney, Edward Fox and Tom Conti. THere were a lot of other well known
        English actors as well, but my mind has gone blank. Pete Postlewaite was
        one I think. I remember watching it once and having a book on Napoelonic
        Hussar uniforms open and the uniforms were surprisingly good! Your mate did
        a good job.

        I actually felt cold in the Retreat from Moscow segment!

        Brian

        I have just seen again (for the umpteenth time) "The Duellists' - directed
        by a Brit, starring two American
        actors, about two French light cavalrymen.

      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          Good point, Bob.
          Vic

          > Greetings from the icy Heart of America,
          >
          > Let's look at the positives. Russel Crowe got nominated for the leading
          > male actor, which will get the movie back into theaters. People will
          > see characters dressed quite like us. Maybe a good opportunity for
          > recruitment. I, like Ray, saw and enjoyed the movie. I portray a
          > surgeon, and didn't go on about self surgery. Enjoy the good! Don't
          > obsess over what is less than historically correct. It's just a movie.
          > ;^)
          >
          > So far the great snow storm is still 100 miles west of KC and we
          > continue to have freezing rain/drizzle and sleet.
          >
          > Warm regards,
          >
          > Bob Dorian
          > Surgeon 14LD, US Engineer & Tanguero

          square miles...

        • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
            Brian;
            In the interview with Ridley Scott (it was his first feature movie), he mentions that the whole thing was
            done for $900,000, and with a cast of 20-30 extras.
            Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the wearing of red trousers for the
            7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket worn. the reason was that
            the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were still wet!!!!
            Just shows, though what can be done with a director intent on making an historically accurate movie.
            Others in this style are "Vatel", and "Ridicule" - earlier period, but excellent.
            Ray

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
              In a message dated 2/1/04 6:31:48 PM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

              > Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the
              > wearing of red trousers for the
              > 7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket
              > worn. the reason was that
              > the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were
              > still wet!!!!

              Well, as I recall, the general was a 'General of Division' (two lines of gold
              embroidery & 2 stars on the eps) but has a general of Brigades sash (shot
              through with blue not red). But it was a magnificent film ans one where the
              technical advisor and costume designer knew their jobs and were allowed to do them.
              If only they were all so good!

              Timothy Pickles
              1100 Rue Chartres
              New Orleans