Re: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

  • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      Vic:
      I have just seen again (for the umpteenth time) "The Duellists' - directed by a Brit, starring two American
      actors, about two French light cavalrymen. A superb movie - and the military advisor is a good friend of
      mine (and he know where the mistakes are!) A marvellous piece of international cooperation.

      It is a shame that there are not good movies of Forrester and co. I, like many, was raised on the novels.

      With sincere greetings
      Ray

    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        Greetings from the icy Heart of America,

        Let's look at the positives. Russel Crowe got nominated for the leading
        male actor, which will get the movie back into theaters. People will
        see characters dressed quite like us. Maybe a good opportunity for
        recruitment. I, like Ray, saw and enjoyed the movie. I portray a
        surgeon, and didn't go on about self surgery. Enjoy the good! Don't
        obsess over what is less than historically correct. It's just a movie.
        ;^)

        So far the great snow storm is still 100 miles west of KC and we
        continue to have freezing rain/drizzle and sleet.

        Warm regards,

        Bob Dorian
        Surgeon 14LD, US Engineer & Tanguero
      • Smaller, Brian C
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          Ray

          In 'The Duellists', Keith Carradine played de Hubert (I think that was his
          name) and a youngish Harvey Keitel the other cavalryman. It also had Albert
          Finney, Edward Fox and Tom Conti. THere were a lot of other well known
          English actors as well, but my mind has gone blank. Pete Postlewaite was
          one I think. I remember watching it once and having a book on Napoelonic
          Hussar uniforms open and the uniforms were surprisingly good! Your mate did
          a good job.

          I actually felt cold in the Retreat from Moscow segment!

          Brian

        • suthren@magma.ca
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
            Good point, Bob.
            Vic

            > Greetings from the icy Heart of America,
            >
            > Let's look at the positives. Russel Crowe got nominated for the leading
            > male actor, which will get the movie back into theaters. People will
            > see characters dressed quite like us. Maybe a good opportunity for
            > recruitment. I, like Ray, saw and enjoyed the movie. I portray a
            > surgeon, and didn't go on about self surgery. Enjoy the good! Don't
            > obsess over what is less than historically correct. It's just a movie.
            > ;^)
            >
            > So far the great snow storm is still 100 miles west of KC and we
            > continue to have freezing rain/drizzle and sleet.
            >
            > Warm regards,
            >
            > Bob Dorian
            > Surgeon 14LD, US Engineer & Tanguero

            square miles...

          • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
              Brian;
              In the interview with Ridley Scott (it was his first feature movie), he mentions that the whole thing was
              done for $900,000, and with a cast of 20-30 extras.
              Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the wearing of red trousers for the
              7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket worn. the reason was that
              the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were still wet!!!!
              Just shows, though what can be done with a director intent on making an historically accurate movie.
              Others in this style are "Vatel", and "Ridicule" - earlier period, but excellent.
              Ray

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                In a message dated 2/1/04 6:31:48 PM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

                > Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the
                > wearing of red trousers for the
                > 7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket
                > worn. the reason was that
                > the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were
                > still wet!!!!

                Well, as I recall, the general was a 'General of Division' (two lines of gold
                embroidery & 2 stars on the eps) but has a general of Brigades sash (shot
                through with blue not red). But it was a magnificent film ans one where the
                technical advisor and costume designer knew their jobs and were allowed to do them.
                If only they were all so good!

                Timothy Pickles
                1100 Rue Chartres
                New Orleans