Re: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      Point well made. Thanks, Ray.

      Vic Suthren

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <ray.hobbs@...>
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 2:03 PM
      Subject: Re: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

      > Oops!
      > While we are on the subject of accuracy, and the comment about Brits
      making the best films about Brits:
      > Russell Crowe - born New Zealand (although he has lived much of his life
      in Oz)
      > James Ivory - born Berkeley, California, Graduate of UCLA
      > Ismail Merchant - born Bombay India, Graduate of New York U.
      > This, of course, says nothing about the comments on M&C. I am not an
      expert, so will keep silent on the
      > movie, 'cept to say I enjoyed it.
      > Yrs etc.
      > Ray Hobbs
      > 41st Regt.
      >

      > > From: <suthren@...>
      > > Date: 2004/02/01 Sun PM 01:19:30 EST
      > > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

      square miles...

    • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        Vic:
        I have just seen again (for the umpteenth time) "The Duellists' - directed by a Brit, starring two American
        actors, about two French light cavalrymen. A superb movie - and the military advisor is a good friend of
        mine (and he know where the mistakes are!) A marvellous piece of international cooperation.

        It is a shame that there are not good movies of Forrester and co. I, like many, was raised on the novels.

        With sincere greetings
        Ray

      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          Greetings from the icy Heart of America,

          Let's look at the positives. Russel Crowe got nominated for the leading
          male actor, which will get the movie back into theaters. People will
          see characters dressed quite like us. Maybe a good opportunity for
          recruitment. I, like Ray, saw and enjoyed the movie. I portray a
          surgeon, and didn't go on about self surgery. Enjoy the good! Don't
          obsess over what is less than historically correct. It's just a movie.
          ;^)

          So far the great snow storm is still 100 miles west of KC and we
          continue to have freezing rain/drizzle and sleet.

          Warm regards,

          Bob Dorian
          Surgeon 14LD, US Engineer & Tanguero
        • Smaller, Brian C
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
            Ray

            In 'The Duellists', Keith Carradine played de Hubert (I think that was his
            name) and a youngish Harvey Keitel the other cavalryman. It also had Albert
            Finney, Edward Fox and Tom Conti. THere were a lot of other well known
            English actors as well, but my mind has gone blank. Pete Postlewaite was
            one I think. I remember watching it once and having a book on Napoelonic
            Hussar uniforms open and the uniforms were surprisingly good! Your mate did
            a good job.

            I actually felt cold in the Retreat from Moscow segment!

            Brian

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
              Good point, Bob.
              Vic

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                Brian;
                In the interview with Ridley Scott (it was his first feature movie), he mentions that the whole thing was
                done for $900,000, and with a cast of 20-30 extras.
                Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the wearing of red trousers for the
                7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket worn. the reason was that
                the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were still wet!!!!
                Just shows, though what can be done with a director intent on making an historically accurate movie.
                Others in this style are "Vatel", and "Ridicule" - earlier period, but excellent.
                Ray

              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                  In a message dated 2/1/04 6:31:48 PM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

                  > Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the
                  > wearing of red trousers for the
                  > 7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket
                  > worn. the reason was that
                  > the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were
                  > still wet!!!!

                  Well, as I recall, the general was a 'General of Division' (two lines of gold
                  embroidery & 2 stars on the eps) but has a general of Brigades sash (shot
                  through with blue not red). But it was a magnificent film ans one where the
                  technical advisor and costume designer knew their jobs and were allowed to do them.
                  If only they were all so good!

                  Timothy Pickles
                  1100 Rue Chartres
                  New Orleans