Re: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

  • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      Oops!
      While we are on the subject of accuracy, and the comment about Brits making the best films about Brits:
      Russell Crowe - born New Zealand (although he has lived much of his life in Oz)
      James Ivory - born Berkeley, California, Graduate of UCLA
      Ismail Merchant - born Bombay India, Graduate of New York U.
      This, of course, says nothing about the comments on M&C. I am not an expert, so will keep silent on the
      movie, 'cept to say I enjoyed it.
      Yrs etc.
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt.

      > From: <suthren@...>
      > Date: 2004/02/01 Sun PM 01:19:30 EST
      > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hear him, Hear him.

        But then I could be described as bias :-) but in principal he it is correct,
        have you ever seen the Brits portraying Aussies or Americans, it doesn't
        really work.

        Cheers

        P**

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          Point well made. Thanks, Ray.

          Vic Suthren

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
            Vic:
            I have just seen again (for the umpteenth time) "The Duellists' - directed by a Brit, starring two American
            actors, about two French light cavalrymen. A superb movie - and the military advisor is a good friend of
            mine (and he know where the mistakes are!) A marvellous piece of international cooperation.

            It is a shame that there are not good movies of Forrester and co. I, like many, was raised on the novels.

            With sincere greetings
            Ray

          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
              Greetings from the icy Heart of America,

              Let's look at the positives. Russel Crowe got nominated for the leading
              male actor, which will get the movie back into theaters. People will
              see characters dressed quite like us. Maybe a good opportunity for
              recruitment. I, like Ray, saw and enjoyed the movie. I portray a
              surgeon, and didn't go on about self surgery. Enjoy the good! Don't
              obsess over what is less than historically correct. It's just a movie.
              ;^)

              So far the great snow storm is still 100 miles west of KC and we
              continue to have freezing rain/drizzle and sleet.

              Warm regards,

              Bob Dorian
              Surgeon 14LD, US Engineer & Tanguero
            • Smaller, Brian C
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                Ray

                In 'The Duellists', Keith Carradine played de Hubert (I think that was his
                name) and a youngish Harvey Keitel the other cavalryman. It also had Albert
                Finney, Edward Fox and Tom Conti. THere were a lot of other well known
                English actors as well, but my mind has gone blank. Pete Postlewaite was
                one I think. I remember watching it once and having a book on Napoelonic
                Hussar uniforms open and the uniforms were surprisingly good! Your mate did
                a good job.

                I actually felt cold in the Retreat from Moscow segment!

                Brian

              • suthren@magma.ca
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Good point, Bob.
                  Vic

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                    Brian;
                    In the interview with Ridley Scott (it was his first feature movie), he mentions that the whole thing was
                    done for $900,000, and with a cast of 20-30 extras.
                    Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the wearing of red trousers for the
                    7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket worn. the reason was that
                    the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were still wet!!!!
                    Just shows, though what can be done with a director intent on making an historically accurate movie.
                    Others in this style are "Vatel", and "Ridicule" - earlier period, but excellent.
                    Ray

                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                      In a message dated 2/1/04 6:31:48 PM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

                      > Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the
                      > wearing of red trousers for the
                      > 7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket
                      > worn. the reason was that
                      > the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were
                      > still wet!!!!

                      Well, as I recall, the general was a 'General of Division' (two lines of gold
                      embroidery & 2 stars on the eps) but has a general of Brigades sash (shot
                      through with blue not red). But it was a magnificent film ans one where the
                      technical advisor and costume designer knew their jobs and were allowed to do them.
                      If only they were all so good!

                      Timothy Pickles
                      1100 Rue Chartres
                      New Orleans