Re: Sir George Murray

  • J.Bruce Whittaker
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
      About the post: Does anyone know of his plans in Canada?
      I didn't even know he was coming and I haven't a thing to wear! :)
      J. Bruce Whittaker (it's the Nyquil talking)
    • J.Bruce Whittaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
        General Sir George Murray: see "Amateurs, To Arms! A Military History
        of the War of 1812" by John R. Elting, pages 311,313 and "British at
        the Gates" by Robin Reilly page 158. Other than those references I
        can't find much else in my library.
        Best regards,
        J. Bruce Whittaker
        Norfolk Militia
      • hm95thfoot
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "J.Bruce Whittaker"
          <ortheris@r...> wrote:
          > General Sir George Murray: see "Amateurs, To Arms! A Military
          History
          > of the War of 1812" by John R. Elting, pages 311,313 and "British
          at
          > the Gates" by Robin Reilly page 158. Other than those references I
          > can't find much else in my library.
          > Best regards,
          > J. Bruce Whittaker
          > Norfolk Militia

          Bruce,

          the Internet is a wonderful thing.

          http://www.canadiana.org/citm/references/biographies_e.html#M

          Murray, Sir George (1772-1846)
          British soldier and politician, secretary of state for the colonies
          from 1828 to 1830. After a long and distinguished career in the army
          (serving during the Napoleonic wars), Murray was appointed as
          lieutenant general of Upper Canada. He arrived in 1814, but left
          soon afterward to rejoin the army, which was about to fight the
          battle of Waterloo. He did not arrive in time to fight, however,
          and, by 1823, he had entered politics. In 1828, he was appointed
          colonial secretary and supported the Reform Bill that extended the
          right to vote to many lower class men. He had mixed success in
          Parliament, losing his seat several times, but was in public office
          until six months before his death.

          Also, check out (watch the wrap) :

          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&client=REAL-
          tb&q=%22General+Sir+George+Murray%22&btnG=Google+Search

          Lots of info on him there. This guy had quite a life.

          HTH,
          RWF
        • Ed Seufert
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
            There was an article at one time on the following website: www.civilization.ca/orch/www04e_f.html. If you do a google search for "The Planned Invasion of 1815", the search will give you the site above and in the list of articles you will find the above title. Unfortunately, the website that the article points to is no longer available.

            It was a 5 page article on the situation in Canada in the fall of 1814, the Duke's point of view and Murrey's Plans and preparations. I printed it out in 1997 and had it tucked away in one of my binders.

            Ed Seufert, Cpl
            1812 Royal Marines
            > General Sir George Murray: see "Amateurs, To Arms! A Military
            History
            > of the War of 1812" by John R. Elting, pages 311,313 and "British
            at
            > the Gates" by Robin Reilly page 158. Other than those references I
            > can't find much else in my library.
            > Best regards,
            > J. Bruce Whittaker
            > Norfolk Militia

            Bruce,

            the Internet is a wonderful thing.

            http://www.canadiana.org/citm/references/biographies_e.html#M

            Murray, Sir George (1772-1846)
            British soldier and politician, secretary of state for the colonies
            from 1828 to 1830. After a long and distinguished career in the army
            (serving during the Napoleonic wars), Murray was appointed as
            lieutenant general of Upper Canada. He arrived in 1814, but left
            soon afterward to rejoin the army, which was about to fight the
            battle of Waterloo. He did not arrive in time to fight, however,
            and, by 1823, he had entered politics. In 1828, he was appointed
            colonial secretary and supported the Reform Bill that extended the
            right to vote to many lower class men. He had mixed success in
            Parliament, losing his seat several times, but was in public office
            until six months before his death.

            Also, check out (watch the wrap) :

            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&client=REAL-
            tb&q=%22General+Sir+George+Murray%22&btnG=Google+Search

            Lots of info on him there. This guy had quite a life.

            HTH,
            RWF

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Lisiting
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
              In a message dated 2/2/04 11:14:23 PM, LCpl_RM@... writes:

              > It was a 5 page article on the situation in Canada in the fall of 1814, the
              > Duke's point of view and Murrey's Plans and preparations.  I printed it out
              > in 1997 and had it tucked away in one of my binders

              Actualy I picked up a privately printed monograph on his Orders and
              decorations some time ago, nice little book with a portrait and some stunning colour
              lithographs of the decorations.

              Timothy Pickles
              1100 Rue Chartres
              New Orleans