Chalmette Battle Reenactment

  • mikebayham
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004
      My name is Mike Bayham and I serve on the St. Bernard Parish (County)
      Council. As all of you know, St. Bernard is home to the Battle of
      New Orleans, something our community is quite proud of.
      Unfortunately, little has been done outside of the NPS in our area
      until recently.

      Last year, we staged a reenactment of the December 23rd skirmish that
      preceeded the Battle of New Orleans campaign. Attendance for the
      event was high (over 400 people), and the battle helped spike
      attendance for the weekend festivities at the battlefield.

      This year, we are going to have our second battle reenactment of the
      December 23rd skirmish with Coffee's attack on the encamped British.

      Though this is short notice for many of you, this year has been busy
      for almost all of us with the Bicentennial of the Louisiana Purcahse
      activities. We will provide a free breakfast for all who participate
      in the battle reenactment in addition to transporting the reenactors
      to and from the Chalmette battlefield. (A distance of less than a
      mile)

      The reenactment program will begin at 10 AM and conclude at 11 AM,
      which is when the battlefield opens. If you are interested in taking
      part in this event, please call my office at (504) 278-4226 or e-mail
      me at mikebayham@....

      Thank you for your consideration and I hope you will help us bring
      history to life on January 10th.

      Respectfully,

      Mike Bayham

      Councilman, District B