RE: US Cheese Box Canteens

  • Armchairadm@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2004
      Have found a source for proper US "Cheese Box" style canteens. Go to
      folowing site, click on Catalog & then on unique items. I've seen one of these
      canteens, very nicely done. Looks to hold about a quart & a half. They carry a
      lot of other items as well.
      Click here: Beaver Buckets-handcrafted wooden buckets, barrels, kegs,
      basins, tubs, yokes, washboards, and bucket repair

      Ed B.

    • Five Rivers
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
        Gary's in the cooperage, so I'm going to answer.

        Sealants of any sort on any type of cooperage generally was and is
        considered the mark of shoddy workmanship. Not to denigrate Beaver Buckets.
        Sealants are sometimes used as stop-gap measures to increase the longevity
        of wine or whiskey barrels, such as a flour paste. Sometimes brewer's pitch
        was used inside brewery barrels for the same reason. Gaskets in the form of
        reeding (bullrush or iris) are often used for the same reasons or in
        multi-pieced heads.

        A well-coopered vessel should be watertight through excellent joinery
        and tight hoops, not through any sort of glues or sealants.

        Having said that, Gary has examined some original and reproduction
        cheesebox canteens and can't for the life of him figure out how these
        puppies were watertight from the get go. His conclusion, which isn't
        necessarily the right one, but rather an opinion from a cooper attempting to
        produce reproduction artifacts, is canteens, whether wood-hooped or metal
        were mass produced, cheap, without thought for workmanship. Likely most were
        paraffined or lined with brewer's pitch on the field by soldiers who became
        frustrated with being thirsty and having wet uniforms.

        The canteens Gary produces are watertight. So right from the start one
        could argue they're not true reproductions I suppose. But given that OUR
        re-enactor soldiers don't wish to be thirsty and have wet uniforms, he makes
        sure every single canteen is watertight through the standards of fine
        coopering, not glues or sealants. Once the canteen is wet is must always
        remain wet. Gary's first and therefore his personal canteen is never empty
        of water.

        He has been asked on numerous occasions to produce cheesebox canteens.
        He continues to decline because of the technical difficulties he foresees in
        creating a true reproduction that will also be watertight through the
        principals of fine cooperage. It is his reputation, afterall, that is on the
        line. If he starts producing what is in essence slack cooperage then how
        could customers trust him to produce excellent watertight cooperage?

        As to buckets, pails, barrels, etc., sure, you can go ahead and put a
        pretty finish on it if you wish. By doing so you're eventually going to
        hinder the natural properties of the wood and over time end up with a rather
        expensive pile of fire or whittling wood. We're waiting to see how our
        canteens stand up over a decade having been painted on the outside for
        regimental purposes. So far so good. But we also warn our customers to
        never, never wax or line their canteens, to simply keep it wet.

        For information on the Care of Cooperage you can visit our website. We
        have a page with some suggestions and tips for the ease of our customers.

        Regards
        Lorina
        supplies
        (519) 799-5577, http://www.5rivers.org email: info@...