Newspaper article

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
      Hey all, it's New Years eve (day) and I am reading old newspapers.
      (is there anything more fun) I found a proposal dated Jan 24, 1801
      for Ft Niagara and it gove some prices.

      Here it is:

      Proposals
      Will be received by the subscriber, for furnishing flour, pork,
      whiskey, country made hard soap, and Onondaga salt, at the U States
      garrison of Niagara until the tenth day of next month, February
      inclusive and no longer. —Such proposals may be for a smaller or
      larger quantity as may suit the person proposing and will meet with
      equal attention. The terms of payment will be in bank notes, in
      either of the following ways, in June next, after the delivery of the
      article or articles, at prices not exceeding the following, viz.

      Dollars cents

      Good fine flour delivered in good and sufficient casks, not to exceed
      per cask 2 50

      Good corn fed, merchantable pork, well salted
      in sufficient casks of 200 lbs. each. Per blb
      11 0

      good proof Whiskey, which has paid the excise or duty to the United
      States
      in barrels of common size, per gal
      0 62 ½

      Well dried Country soap, per lb.
      0 12 ½

      First quality Onondaga salt, in barrels containing 5 bushels
      Per blb
      6 0

      Or any person proposing to deliver any of the above articles, on
      giving sufficient security for such delivery punctually to be made on
      or before the first day of June next, may have the money paid in
      advance on the 25th day of next month (February) but in this case no
      proposal will be accepted at prices higher than the following, viz.

      Dollars cents

      Good fine flour delivered in casks, as afore said not to exceed per
      cask 2 25

      Good pork, in sufficient casks of 200 lbs. each.
      Per blb
      10 0

      good Whiskey, in casks, duty paid
      per gal
      0 56 ½

      Good salt, in casks containing 5 bushels
      Per blb
      5 50

      Good hard soap, per lb.
      0 10 ½

      It will be necessary that every proposal should mention in which of
      the above ways payment will be required.
      To such as shall be accepted an answer will be given in
      writing within ten days after the 10th day of February, aforesaid;
      provided always that, the person proposing shall have mentioned in
      his proposal a place situated on some public road, within a
      reasonable distance, for such answer to be delivered. Such shall not
      be accepted will not be answered.

      THOMAS WILSON
      Fort Niagara, Jan 8, 1801

      If the format is wierd I have it typed in MSword, since I imagine Mr
      Feltoe is already emailing to ask for a copy! One question. What is
      a blb?
      I have also read somewhere (I can't recall of hand) that the price of
      flour went up to $14 by 1813!! WOW talk about war time inflation!
    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
        In a message dated 31/12/2003 9:17:10 AM, kevin.windsor@... writes:

        > One question.  What is
        > a blb?

        A blb:
        During the time of Queen Elizabeth I, it was the fashion in the French court
        to stand upon one leg and say, "Bibble".*
        Most often, the courtiers were holding a drinking vessel/chalice/flagon of
        some tasty beverage, and after time went by, "Bibble" became associated with the
        drink, as in, "Would vous carry for a little bibble, mon cherie?", and then
        the container itself, as in, "Sacre beaujolais! I have broken my bibble and
        have nozing to pour my verrrry fine wine into! Zoot alor, zat it should come to
        zis!"
        After more time went by a bibble could contain most anything (most often
        chapeaus) and did. The amount depended on what the substance was and whether it
        was a feast day when it was packed. People being people gave it an abbreviation
        and wrote it as blb.
        Of course blb is not to be confused with bbl (the abbreviation of "bubble"),
        which is a whole other kettle of fish (or, "ktl").

        *Source: "Blackadder The Second"

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
          Benton wrote...

          People being people gave it an
          > abbreviation
          > and wrote it as blb.
          > Of course blb is not to be confused with bbl (the abbreviation of "bubble"),
          > which is a whole other kettle of fish (or, "ktl").

          Benton's head dress is a tad too tight methinks. Perhaps it's two sardines
          short of a ktl.

          Craig
        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
            In a message dated 31/12/2003 1:28:36 PM, sgtwarner@... writes:

            > Benton's head dress is a tad too tight methinks.

            And that is written as "bnt". (The bonnet, not my name...)

            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com

          • David Lynch
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
              <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
              > One question. What is
              > a blb?
              > I have also read somewhere (I can't recall of hand) that the price
              of
              > flour went up to $14 by 1813!! WOW talk about war time inflation!

              If I had to guess, I would say that "blb" is the abbreviated "bushel
              barrel", although this is more often rendered "bbl".

              Cheers, and Happy New Year to all -
              Dave Lynch
              Lt., 93rd
            • John E Greig
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
                Hello All,

                A happy and peaceful New Year to all across the pond.

                Having read the following article forget the flour, pork, corn and salt. I'll have the whiskey at that price anyday !

                John Greig
                HM IXth Regiment of Foot

                Fort Niagara, Jan 8, 1801

                If the format is wierd I have it typed in MSword, since I imagine Mr
                Feltoe is already emailing to ask for a copy! One question. What is
                a blb?
                I have also read somewhere (I can't recall of hand) that the price of
                flour went up to $14 by 1813!! WOW talk about war time inflation!

                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                American Forces Unit Lisiting
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com