Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Button, button, whose got a button?

  • Steve Abolt
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2003
      Bob,

      Anything is possible. It can also mean they have pipe
      clayed their white trousers to make them appear clean.

      The thing one must always remember when looking into
      American uniforms of this or any early period is that
      even if a new pattern has been adopted it may be
      months and sometimes even years before the new items
      are issued.

      A case in point: In 1833 the US Army adopts a new
      forage cap. A general order goes out that all old
      pattern caps are to be collected and shippped west to
      the 3rd and 7th INF. These two regiments would not
      receive new pattern caps for almost two years. In
      1838, six years after the uniform change of 1832
      inspection reports state that part of the 7th INF at
      Ft. Gibson is still in the old pattern uniorm, some
      in the new. The list goes on and on.

      Inspection reports of the 7th INF at the conclusion of
      the New Orleans campaign shows each company outfitted
      slightly differntly than its sister companies. All of
      this was done to achieve a more uniform appearance
      among those companies. But, in spite of the slight
      differences all are in the 1813 pattern coatand shako
      and dark woolen trousers.

      One of the best ways to get a precise answer is to
      investigate the original company order books which
      will, at times, go into great deal about the issue of
      new and old garments and the modification of old to
      other purposes.

      But as stated earlier, I have never seen anything in
      an original document from the 7th military district,
      which lists anything but American uniform items, being
      issued.

      All the best,

      S.

      --- dancingbobd@... wrote:

      > Steve - If the 2nd Inf was still in buff belts using
      > pipe clay, could
      > they also be in the 1812 felt shako? That is
      > visually quite different
      > than the tombstone.

      =====
      Cottonbalers, By God!