Re: Button, button, whose got a button? was - RE: [WarOf1812] Re: Today is....

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2003
      In a message dated 12/25/2003 12:33:34 PM Central Standard Time,
      ciefranche21e@... writes:

      Now that's a very interesting primary source notation. Especially in light
      of the Bataillon d'Orleans discussions held around campfires and behind
      closed doors. Perhaps the spread of French equipment alluded to in other
      documents went farther abroad than we originally suspected. Certainly the
      95th would be well acquainted with the look of a French soldier. Buttons
      and belts, eh? Perhaps event rank distinctions, since it would otherwise
      modify the look of the uniform....
      Mike,

      The most interesting, and puzling thing about the statement is that (OTTOMH)
      I recal that most of the troops there were regulars.

      As to the buttons I have a photograph of a dug Plauche's button from the site
      of the battle of NO and it is curious in that it is the pre 1800 method of
      manufacture being a thin flat metal face that was obviously once crimped over a
      wooden or horn back. The face bears a smack on French Grenade with 'Battallion
      d' Orleans' surrounding it. Interestingly this same design but with crossed
      cannons was still in use for the Orleans artillery in the Mexican war.

      I know this is not certain but I think it is not too far out to speculate
      that these buttons were being made localy (far lower tech than the all metal ones
      used in France from about 1803-5 on) and so this 'French' style of
      manufacture could have been used as a matter of course on Militia buttons.

      Now just to argue against myself I have also seen a set of superb solid
      silver US officers buttons of about 1812 with NO silver marks on them, all this is
      quite facinating. As you say this statement of Smiths calls for further
      research.