Mississinewa 1812

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 18 7:14 PM
      From: "Robert van Patten"
      <orville@...>

      >I may be missing something but to the best of my knowledge there were no
      >British troops in action in the Mississinewa campaign. In the interest of
      >authenticity I therefore wonder why British units participate in this event
      >now.

      Robert et all:
      About 5 years ago, Martin Lake and the Mississinewa Battlefield Society decided to change the event from the "Battle of Mississinewa" to the "1812 Grande Encampment". This decision was to make the event
      the Premier 1812 event on the Continent.
      As narrator at this event, I always start out with a short narrative regarding the actual Battle but quickly assure the folks that they will not see that battle during the weekend but will see an "1812 Tactical" instead. With this disclaimer all in attendance will be assured that they are not doing something historically inaccurate. It does pay hommage to the actual battle, but is not meant to re-enact it.
      My good friend Steve Abolt and the US 7th (Cotton Balers by God) do hold a memorial at the grave site every Sunday morning as long as I can remember. They march to the site a few miles away and bring attention and honour to 'ALL' that died at that battle. Hats off the the 7th!
      I have been informed that to date there will are
      120 sutlers registered and troops from California, Alabama, Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba just to name a few, If your state or Province was not mentioned it is because I wanted to keep this posting as short as possible, but to give the scope of the event.
      A note to all, especially Benton, this year the event will be a "3" day event with battles on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Also it will fall on the Canadian Thanksgiving. This will give the Canadians an extra day to drive home (Monday). So your campers may be arriving as soon as Tuesday ?!?!?!
      I think Benton and Tim have been doing a great job to clean up the camp at Miss 1812 and I have seen the changes through the Years!
      Huzzah to the Two Campereers !!!!
      Larry Lozon
    • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 18 7:30 PM
        In a message dated 7/18/99 9:15:23 PM Central Daylight Time, lalozon@...
        writes:

        << About 5 years ago, Martin Lake and the Mississinewa Battlefield Society
        decided to change the event from the "Battle of Mississinewa" to the "1812
        Grande Encampment". This decision was to make the event
        the Premier 1812 event on the Continent.
        As narrator at this event, I always start out with a short narrative
        regarding the actual Battle but quickly assure the folks that they will not
        see that battle during the weekend but will see an "1812 Tactical" instead.

        Larry:

        You and a few others of our merry band might remember that a few years ago we
        actually tried to do a re-enactment of Mississenewa proper, just US troops
        and Indians. It was, lets face it, a miserable failure. It was after this
        that Martin decided "never again" and changed it.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 18 8:12 PM
          From:Tim Pickles
          BritcomHMP@...
          >Larry:
          >
          >You and a few others of our merry band might remember ....
          >we actually tried to do a re-enactment of Mississenewa proper, just US
          troops and Indians. It was, lets face it, a miserable failure. It was after
          this
          >that Martin decided "never again" and changed it.
          >
          >Cheers
          >Tim
          Mon General,
          et all:
          I indeed remember Martin saying,
          " If it's Hollywood they want, by God
          it is Hollywood I will give them"
          "Brits, Yanks, Indians, pyrotechnics
          I'll knock the socks off them!"
          And he has ever since, as far
          as the spectators who come back,
          some of them every day, every year!
          They tell me, as I am stationed right
          in the middle of the spectator area,
          That this is the greatest show in
          the mid Indiana area.
          Hell I think he is even given the
          "Back Street Boys" a run for their money.
          38,000 spectators! Almost as many
          people as live in my home town!
          Larry
        • james barnwell
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 19 4:57 AM
            I hope the "Indians"will obey the safety rules this year. Jim B.

          • JGIL1812@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 19 6:17 AM
              In a message dated 7/19/99 4:57:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              barnlll@... writes:

              << I hope the "Indians"will obey the safety rules this year. Jim B.

              I'm sure we ALL will remember to obey the safety rules this year. Our native
              allies a were not the only ones who forgot themselves during last years
              battles on both sides of the line.

              Sincerely,
              JG-RE
            • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 19 7:25 AM
                Thanks Larry, for the "Campereers" huzzah (I think...).

                As another added note to the "remember when" list about Mississinewa, it was
                only 3 years ago the British camp was still right next to (in/amdist/among)
                the US camp - one could not tell where the Brit camp began & the US camp
                started, plus being on a slope of a hill, plus being in trees and shrubs.
                Attempts at lines for company streets were a joke. No one would set up out of
                the tree line at the bottom of the slope because if it rained at all the
                bottom became a mud bog. One Brit Unit always got to and insisted on/got to
                have their camp being on the "median" twixt the two roads thru the event site
                at the top of the slope, thus being able to lay out some form of street but
                certainly not in line with anyone else's. Talk about "gypsy camp" indeed!

                We (British) now have a wide open, flat area, devoid of bogs all our own,
                plus it is next to the participant parking lot (how does it go? EZ in, EZ
                out?) and battlefield. But even with this lovely, perfect spot there were
                howls of righteous furor (especially from that one Unit of the median) when
                mention was made of moving there and few have yet to set up in the area
                correctly (including that one especial Unit -- I have yet to mention names,
                please note!!!)

                Last year was slightly better than the first time there (which resembled
                nothing of correctness). Maybe this time we can get it right. The key is that
                NO unit sets up on their own "patch" for whatever reason. All set their
                street on line with everyone else.

                Or am I wishing for too much based on simplicity itself?

                Cheerios,
                http://hometown.aol.com/ninety3rd
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 15, 1999
                  NOTICE !

                  1812 'ers

                  The World Series of 1812 Re-Enactments
                  fast approaches.

                  October 8,9,10, 1999

                  MISSISSINEWA 1812

                  Located near Marion Indiana on I-69
                  this years event boasts
                  (registered and maybe over)

                  60 Sutlers
                  33 Artisans
                  29 Food Vendors
                  14 Blanket Traders
                  Friday-Saturday-Sunday Battles
                  British Troops
                  American Troops
                  Mounted Cavalry
                  Native Warriors

                  -0-

                  Over 7000 School registrations for Friday

                  -0-

                  40' X 100' Dance Tent
                  with
                  Free Entertainment & Dance Saturday Nite

                  -o-

                  don't miss it
                  contact

                  Martin Lake
                  at

                  WAR1812@...
                  if you are not yet registered

                  "you have tried the rest
                  now try the BEST ! "
                  Mississinewa 1812

                  This has not been a paid political announcement
                • james barnwell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 15, 1999
                    THE BARREL IS MISSING!!!!!!!and when did Dragoons go out of fashion
                    1860's? Ill bring some ale!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 3, 2001
                      Hi everyone,

                      As my Lymes Disease has been acting up for the past couple of weeks, I
                      find myself not up to the trip this year. I wish you all a safe journey
                      and dry weather this coming weekend. My heart and thoughts will be with
                      you all.

                      Regards,

                      Bob Dorian
                      US Engineer
                    • JGIL1812@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 3, 2001
                        In a message dated 10/3/01 12:49:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        dancingbobd@... writes:

                        << My heart and thoughts will be with
                        you all. >>

                        Bob,

                        I hope you feel better. Your wit and charm will be missed. All the best.

                        John
                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 3, 2001
                          That's a shame Bob. I'll miss seeing you.
                          Get well soon.

                          In a message dated 3/10/01 12:49:33 AM, dancingbobd@... writes:

                          << As my Lymes Disease has been acting up for the past couple of weeks, I
                          find myself not up to the trip this year. I wish you all a safe journey
                          and dry weather this coming weekend. My heart and thoughts will be with
                          you all.

                          Regards,

                          Bob Dorian
                          US Engineer >>

                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                          THE Thin Red Line
                          www.93rdhighlanders.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 9, 2001
                            1812'ers,

                            I would like to report that no problems were
                            encountered by this Canadian or any I talked to,
                            at the border on entering the USA, and as for
                            returning to Canada, again, I had absolutely no
                            problems.
                            The Customs Officers on both sides have a
                            job to do and they are doing it very well.

                            Friday saw heavy rains fall most of the day.
                            Saturday was in the high 50's and sunny,
                            Sunday was in the mid 60's with sun. Nights
                            were in the low 30's!

                            With over 135 Sutlers, shopping was Heaven!

                            A contingent from England spent a lot of time with us
                            and the camaraderie was great. In attendance was the
                            9th, 60th and Royal Engineers, it was the first time
                            these Brit soldiers had taken the field with Native Warriors
                            and they loved every minute of it! ( a report please Peter)

                            All in all a great event with lots of cavalry, native warriors,
                            British/Canadian and American troops. Also it was great
                            to put faces to email addresses.

                            Next year the event will be held Oct 11-13 and you can be
                            sure I will be there! Wow, Martin Lake and his gang throw
                            a great party!

                            ymh&os,

                            Larry

                          • Andrew S. Finch
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 10, 2001
                              Larry thank you for taking part in the duels on the weekend.
                              You noted despite offers of large rewards for putting a live ball in your
                              opponents pistol we respected your need to be without any new holes and
                              anyways we did not want to upset Brenda.
                              Once again thank you it is a real pleasure to have you and Steve helping us
                              and as everyone is different it even amuses us on what actually happens.
                            • thunder_wolf18
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 29, 2002
                                Hello all!
                                I have read a lot of your comments on Mississinewa 1812 of 2001 and I
                                would like to express my heartfelt thanks to all of you who attended.
                                I am a part of the Mississinewa Battlefield Society and I am very
                                proud of being a part of it. I am very happy that you all have
                                enjoyed it, even with the mud and the rain, it makes it that much
                                better! I have been a part of the society for 11 years, and each year
                                I get satisfaction in watching people like you enjoy yourselves. If
                                the truth was to be known, I would have the 1812 year round and live
                                like that instead of modern day living. I hope that all of you come
                                to the 2002 Mississinewa 1812 and have another wonderful time! Hope
                                to hear from each one of you!
                                Thunder_wolf
                              • Peter Catley
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 8, 2002
                                  All the very best to all those lucky enough to be able to get to
                                  Mississinewa this year. We Brits had a really great time last year, the
                                  event was excellent and the hospitality superb, I’m only sorry that we can’t
                                  be with you again.

                                  Enjoy yourselves and entertain!

                                  P** and the British Expeditionary Force 2001

                                • lalozon
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
                                    I am requested to inform all who are attending ....
                                    Commanders please inform your troops

                                    Mississinewa 1812 Marion, Indiana, USA
                                    ___________________________

                                    More than 140 merchants, artisans and food purveyors

                                    More than 20 food purveyors

                                    Crown Forces Corps of Drums are the guest Fife and Drum unit for 2006

                                    Free dance, food and beverages (adult beverages!) in the BIG tent Saturday
                                    evening

                                    ========

                                    Weather per The Weather Channel (USA)
                                    http://search.weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USIN0390.html

                                    Oct 6 Thursday
                                    Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the upper 30s.

                                    Oct 7 Friday
                                    Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the upper 30s.

                                    Oct 8 Saturday
                                    Abundant sunshine. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 30s.

                                    Oct 9 Sunday
                                    Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 30s.

                                    Oct 10 Monday
                                    A few clouds. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 40s.

                                    If you take an umbrella it WON'T rain

                                    If you take an overcoat it WON'T be cold

                                    If you take a wide brimmed hat it WON'T be too sunny
                                    ========

                                    If you are crossing at Port Huron or Detroit from Canada

                                    I-96 W
                                    I-69 S
                                    IN18W Exit
                                    =======

                                    Clothing Seminar Saturday and Sunday in the big tent

                                    ========

                                    Next year, Oct 13-15 Mississinewa 1812 will not be on the Canadian
                                    Thanksgiving

                                    Event website: http://www.mississinewa1812.com

                                    Safe trip - see you there .......

                                    Yrs.,
                                    L2
                                  • PETER CATLEY
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
                                      I wish all the lucky participants a marvellous
                                      weekend, above all have fun, travel safely and take
                                      care.

                                      P**
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 14, 2008
                                        I also echo the accolades of Lady Spencer.

                                        Mississinewa 1812 was a super event.

                                        Martin Lake, Rob Trumbull, Steve Abolt, Tim Pickles, Larry Stutt,
                                        John Gilmour and a list of others too long to list here out did
                                        themselves to create the best Mississinewa 1812 to date.

                                        I would be remiss not to mention the Boy Scouts that kept the site
                                        clean and tidy with their Garbage Patrol and the Brother Masons who
                                        kept the traffic flowing smoothly. (Rough estimate over 6000 students
                                        Friday! Saturday broke last years stats)

                                        Just a heads up - next year's Mississinewa 1812 event will be October
                                        2 - 4, 2009. Which is a week earlier that this years event.

                                        Photos are now being posted at
                                        http://www.mississinewa1812.com/2008/photo01.htm

                                        Yrs.,
                                        L2
                                        PS: Order your 1812 Stuff now - and you will have it in time for the
                                        2009 Campaign Season.
                                        Passports take longer to obtain now.
                                        Clothes, tents and furniture also take time to make. Make your
                                        Christmas list now . . .

                                        Sutlers & Merchants
                                        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

                                        United States Forces 1812
                                        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                        Crown Forces North America 1812
                                        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                                        WAR Of 1812 Events
                                        Oct 25-26 Fort Osage Militia Muster - Sibley, MO
                                        Nov 1-2 Muster on the Wabash - Vincennes, IN
                                        Nov 7 41st Regiment Lecture Series - Guelph, ON
                                        Dec 6 Merchants Christmas - Hamilton, ON
                                      • larrylozon
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 12, 2011
                                          Thanks to Martin Lake and the Mississinewa Battlefield Society Inc,
                                          for a fine event. Mississinewa 1812/2011 had fine weather (85°F), 150'ish Sutlers/Merchants and the expertise of Peter Twist and Steve Abolt choreographing battles, the three day event was well worth the drive.

                                          Yrs.,
                                          Larry Lozon