References

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
      From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

      Speaking of references (not form the barber) I came across something
      really neat in a letter dated 8th August 1814 from Druumond to Prevost.

      LL: Kool Kev! ta, ta

      From: "Kevin Windsor"

      Oh and by the way Larry.
      Return of the Killed, wounded, missing in the action at Lundy's Lane, on
      the 25th July 1814....
      ....In consequence of the great use made by the enemy of buckshot,
      many of the wounds have proved slight.
      I knew I'd find it sooner or later!!

      LL: thanks again Kev

      LL: Now Kevin, what have you on Rules & Regulations of the
      Officer's Mess in the American Army 1800 - 1820 ???

      I don't want to make a mistake with likes of Mr's Abolt,
      Bennett and Dorian as guest in the Officer's Mess ........

      and you know Mr President Williams is always looking for a poofaw!

      Yrs,

      LL
    • Mark Ibbotson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        Firstly thanks to all for your input and to Mr Feltoe for his explanation of how those references work.

        Now would the Candian military archives be mirrored in the UK and would they hold the same references as their Canadian counterpart.
        Also how would one go about accessing American archives for this period?

        Thanks,
        Ibbo

        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
      • ray hobbs
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
          Mark:
          You will have to check with the British Public Records Office, now
          called the National Archive at
          <http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm>
          Then go to the drag down menu "Search our archives", and click on
          catalogue (PROCAT), to do a search.
          Most of the British regimental records in the National Archives in
          Ottawa are microfilmed copies of material in the PRO/NA in the UK. As
          for Canadian Militia records, probably, though I have not checked.
          This is the way - walk in it :-)
          Ray Hobbs
          41st Regt.

          On Tuesday, November 30, 2004, at 11:15 AM, Mark Ibbotson wrote:

          > Firstly thanks to all for your input and to Mr Feltoe for his
          > explanation of how those references work.
          >
          > Now would the Candian military archives be mirrored in the UK and
          > would they hold the same references as their Canadian counterpart.
          > Also how would one go about accessing American archives for this
          > period?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ibbo
          >

          > --
          > Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
          > http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

          > THOUSANDS of square miles...

          > �� ---------------------------------
          > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          >
          > American Forces Unit Lisiting
          > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          <image.tiff>

          <image.tiff>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > �
          > �

        • Richard Feltoe
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
            Ibbo,
            While the RG8 series is duplicate copies of British Military Records that
            are held by the Public Records Office in Kew, the RG9 (Canadian Military
            Records) are derived from exclusively Canadian sources and in some cases are
            not even microfilmed yet. I have had the distinct pleasure of using the
            original documents on several visits to the archives and I can say without
            reservation that it really brings you close to history when you hold the
            actual piece of paper and see the penmanship, let alone read the words of an
            individual who is writing his response to events that sometimes happened
            only hours before. Microfilm may give a visual readable image, but nothing
            beats the real thing.

            That being said, however, I fully understand and uphold the need for
            conservation by duplicating these documents and using the reproductions as
            first line/general study tools, while the originals are preserved for
            special study needs

            As to American records, I'll leave that reference to someone who has better
            sourcing than I.

            Richard Feltoe