References

  • Kevin & Allison Windsor
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
      Speaking of references (not form the barber) I came across something
      really neat in a letter dated 8th August 1814 from Druumond to Prevost.

      "The troops have hitherto supported the privations and hardships of this
      severe service with great constancy and cheerfulness, and I am happy to
      say very few desertions have taken place. Those from the enemy to us
      have been numerous, and, what is remarkable, three of our deserters
      serving in the enemy's rifle corps have just come in. I have pardoned
      these men. They state a circumstance which I have strong reason for
      believing to be a fact, viz: That is the night action of the 25th
      ulto., their boasted 1st Brigade laid down their arms and called out
      that they had surrendered. This being believe by us to be a ruse de
      guerre was not attended to, our fire resumd and the enemy compelled to
      save themselves by flight"

      I have not heard of this anywhere else other than this letter, and it is
      not supported in any of the official accounts of either side.

      Oh and by the way Larry.
      Return of the Killed, wounded, missing in the action at Lundy's Lane, on
      the 25th July 1814....
      ....In consequence of the great use made by the enemy of buckshot,
      many of the wounds have proved slight.

      I knew I'd find it sooner or later!!
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
        From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

        Speaking of references (not form the barber) I came across something
        really neat in a letter dated 8th August 1814 from Druumond to Prevost.

        LL: Kool Kev! ta, ta

        From: "Kevin Windsor"

        Oh and by the way Larry.
        Return of the Killed, wounded, missing in the action at Lundy's Lane, on
        the 25th July 1814....
        ....In consequence of the great use made by the enemy of buckshot,
        many of the wounds have proved slight.
        I knew I'd find it sooner or later!!

        LL: thanks again Kev

        LL: Now Kevin, what have you on Rules & Regulations of the
        Officer's Mess in the American Army 1800 - 1820 ???

        I don't want to make a mistake with likes of Mr's Abolt,
        Bennett and Dorian as guest in the Officer's Mess ........

        and you know Mr President Williams is always looking for a poofaw!

        Yrs,

        LL
      • Mark Ibbotson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
          Firstly thanks to all for your input and to Mr Feltoe for his explanation of how those references work.

          Now would the Candian military archives be mirrored in the UK and would they hold the same references as their Canadian counterpart.
          Also how would one go about accessing American archives for this period?

          Thanks,
          Ibbo

          Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
          http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
        • ray hobbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
            Mark:
            You will have to check with the British Public Records Office, now
            called the National Archive at
            <http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm>
            Then go to the drag down menu "Search our archives", and click on
            catalogue (PROCAT), to do a search.
            Most of the British regimental records in the National Archives in
            Ottawa are microfilmed copies of material in the PRO/NA in the UK. As
            for Canadian Militia records, probably, though I have not checked.
            This is the way - walk in it :-)
            Ray Hobbs
            41st Regt.

            On Tuesday, November 30, 2004, at 11:15 AM, Mark Ibbotson wrote:

            > Firstly thanks to all for your input and to Mr Feltoe for his
            > explanation of how those references work.
            >
            > Now would the Candian military archives be mirrored in the UK and
            > would they hold the same references as their Canadian counterpart.
            > Also how would one go about accessing American archives for this
            > period?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ibbo
            >

            > --
            > Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
            > http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

            > THOUSANDS of square miles...

            > �� ---------------------------------
            > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            >
            > American Forces Unit Lisiting
            > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            <image.tiff>

            <image.tiff>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > �
            > �

          • Richard Feltoe
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
              Ibbo,
              While the RG8 series is duplicate copies of British Military Records that
              are held by the Public Records Office in Kew, the RG9 (Canadian Military
              Records) are derived from exclusively Canadian sources and in some cases are
              not even microfilmed yet. I have had the distinct pleasure of using the
              original documents on several visits to the archives and I can say without
              reservation that it really brings you close to history when you hold the
              actual piece of paper and see the penmanship, let alone read the words of an
              individual who is writing his response to events that sometimes happened
              only hours before. Microfilm may give a visual readable image, but nothing
              beats the real thing.

              That being said, however, I fully understand and uphold the need for
              conservation by duplicating these documents and using the reproductions as
              first line/general study tools, while the originals are preserved for
              special study needs

              As to American records, I'll leave that reference to someone who has better
              sourcing than I.

              Richard Feltoe