Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
      Dave

      Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
      something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
      British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to a
      tragic but admirable draw.

      Vic

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
        Though started by me somewhat tongue in cheek, I think that many of the
        ideas put forth, while having merit wouldn't sell. A naval battle would be
        too confusing to portray on the screen I fear. Ship to ship allows the
        viewer to keep track of things, but a "fleet" action would be very difficult
        to portray and keep the viewers interest high, and frustration level low.

        The various massacres probably wouldn't sell in the politically correct
        environment. Now if you could somehow turn them into Arab Terrorists, then
        you've got a winner. :-P

        The Niagara campaign of 1814 has a lot going for it. Action, intrigue,
        dynamic personalities, etc. Might go, but Hollywood would probably put some
        hokey thing at the end. "Everybody, high-five!"

        Problem is, our viewing audience (ticket buyers) is so ignorant of the
        history that you could loudly proclaim "The Siege of Fort Meigs and Battle
        of the Thames!" and they would go, "huh?" Add in Tecumseh and some would
        respond. Getting a studio to bankroll an attempt would require some name
        recognition. Either big stars, or Orcs. ;-)

        Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer." (Ducking for cover)

        Michael M.

        "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

        >From: <suthren@...>
        >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
        >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:11:28 -0500
        >
        >Dave
        >
        >Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
        >something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
        >British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to
        >tragic but admirable draw.
        >
        >Vic

        (snip)

        online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
        at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
        by service area.)
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003

          > Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer."  (Ducking for cover)

          Actualy I think New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
          getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and having
          to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot). Obviously anyone
          who fights a US army MUST be bad QED!

          However done right that show has enough heroics to show both sides as
          honourable men doing their duty bravely and each receving a measure of success.

          Start from the anouncement of peace reaching the British just after their
          capture of Fort Bowyer and then go into flashback. Naval actions, indian allies
          on both sides, black troops on both sides, spies, pirates, it would have to be
          done as a mini series to get it all in!

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
            From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

            -----

            From: "Tim" <BritcomHMP@...>

            ... New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
            getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and
            having to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot)....

            ------------

            Michael, great thread! with a lot of good ideas posted

            ~

            I have to agree with our learned film professional.

            New Orleans (Chalmette {Buccaneer}) would be a money maker for
            the film industry.

            ~ A definite sell for the American market

            ~ A romantic setting and a good sell for the World market

            ~ Naval actions, Indians, Black Troops, Spies, Pirates, etc.

            Movie Makers want to make money and have no interest in history,
            so Nawlins' is my vote as well. They would make it an action flick and
            with an American victory it will be a money maker.

            (There are more people living in New York City than in Canada :-)
            so a USA focused film will make them more $$$$$$
            Films are all made to make a profit !!)

            Jest being realistic, sorry .......

            Yrs,
            Larry
          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
              Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
              battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
              Zulu chant?? ;-)

              Regards,

              Bob Dorian
              Independence, Missouri
              USA
            • PEGGY Mathews
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                To add a fantasy/mystic element, they could have the West Indies regiments
                indulging in pre-battle voodoo and work in chanting there! Ah, then their
                sacrifice is spoiled by an over-zealous British officer and that's why they
                lost!

                I should move to Hollywood, I understand the way they think!

                Cynically yours,
                Michael

                "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

                >From: dancingbobd@...
                >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
                >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:42:16 -0600 (CST)
                >
                >Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                >battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                >Zulu chant?? ;-)
                >
                >Regards,
                >
                >Bob Dorian
                >Independence, Missouri
                >USA

                >of square miles...

                Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
                online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!
              • Smaller, Brian C
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                  or get Peter Jackson to make the movie here in New Zealand and the battle
                  scenes will only need a hundred soldiers to make it look like ten thousand!

                  Brian
                  (Putting in a plug for the hometown!)

                • natty10000
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Truth be told, any particular battle (and the War itself) would
                    probably play second-fiddle. Most people are going to be interested
                    in a romance or adventure set against the backdrop of a particular
                    battle with the standard doomed characters. In that context, it could
                    be just about any engagement from the smallest to the largest. As
                    long as there's a ripping good tale, well told and well acted, people
                    will be interested no matter who actually won the real deal way back
                    when.
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                      In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@... writes:
                      >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                      >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                      > Yrs,
                      > Larry

                      Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com

                    • hm95thfoot
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                        > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                        > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                        > > Yrs,
                        > > Larry
                        > >

                        > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                        > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                        > THE Thin Red Line
                        > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                        ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                        this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                        people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                        fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....

                        Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                        RWF
                      • David Lynch
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 8, 2003
                          Great idea, Tim...

                          Just as long as they also included the omnipresent trews-catching
                          brambles, and a couple of scenes of British soldiers bonking each
                          other over the head to steal trousers!

                          {{{Ahem}}}

                          Cheers,
                          Dave Lynch
                          Lt., 93rd

                        • HQ93rd@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 9, 2003
                            In a message dated 7/12/2003 8:50:30 AM, fullerfamily@... writes:

                            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:
                            > >
                            > > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                            > > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                            > > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                            > > > Yrs,
                            > > > Larry
                            > > >

                            > > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                            > > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                            > > THE Thin Red Line
                            > > www.93rdhighlanders.com
                            >
                            > ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                            > this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                            > people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                            > fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....
                            >
                            > Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                            Right on, right on, right on, Undercover Brother!
                            (Oh yes -- Before anyone challenges me on any racism allegations regarding
                            the latter sentence...I am actually quite good friends with "Smart Brother". So
                            there. Nyahhhhh.)

                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                            THE Thin Red Line
                            www.93rdhighlanders.com

                          • John E. Hesselberg
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                              Howdy folks. Speaking of movies, if you can call it that, there was a
                              TNT production a few years a ago on the life of Tecumsa,
                              called "Tecumsa" (I beleive.) It encompasses a bit of the War of 1812
                              but not a lot.
                              John
                              43rd LIR