Musket balls

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      (When Byfield fell, is it true a man beside him said "Byfield is dead", and Shadrack replied "I believe I be"?)

      I remember as a member of the Fort Henry Guard (Kingston, Ontario, Canada) Drill Squad in 1964 (yep, that's '64, sonny) being taken out with three others to form two files of infantry for a filmmaker, and firing live 'Boxer' .577 black powder cartridges from unaltered Snider-Enfields (as opposed to the shotgun shells with blackpowder used as blanks in the Drill Sequence and Battle Tactics, with Sniders drilled out to take the shotgun shell) at half-inch plywood man-sized cutouts about 50 yards away. They were propped up by 2x4s and fairly securely anchored. The live rounds had a heck of a punch and put a big entry hole (and a huge, splintery exit hole) in the plywood figures, and knocked 'em flat as if they'd been hit with a baseball bat whenever they were hit. I gather the muzzle velocity of the Snider ball (actually a Minie-style projectile) was around 900 feet/second, so perhaps that's a good deal more performance than a Bess and its ball would provide. Still, I bet it was close. I'd still vote for someone going down like a felled tree if hit with a Brown Bess ball at any reasonable range. Gruesome thought, actually....

      Vic Suthren

    • dseanbarnett@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
        In a message dated 06/30/2004 7:01:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > it is worth remembering that the US arsenals were issuing
        > .64 sized balls for most of the flintlock era.

        Does anyone know of a source that is selling .64 cal. ball that I could use
        in a Springfield (not wanting to have to melt my own lead)?

        Thanks,

        Sean Barnett
        Ship's Company
        dseanbarnett@...

      • Patti
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
          You can try Warren Muzzleloading at http://www.ozonemountain.com/
          Don't know if they have .64, it's an odd size.
          Cheers,
          patti

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, dseanbarnett@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 06/30/2004 7:01:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com writes:
          >

          > > it is worth remembering that the US arsenals were issuing
          > > .64 sized balls for most of the flintlock era.
          >
          > Does anyone know of a source that is selling .64 cal. ball that I
          could use
          > in a Springfield (not wanting to have to melt my own lead)?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Sean Barnett
          > Ship's Company
          > dseanbarnett@a...

        • Annette and Lloyd
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
            Sean ,
            How many .640 musket balls do you want ?
            I would be glad to supply them ,at a rate of $3.00 for 25 balls
            +the shipping to your location ,at 16 balls to a pound ,I would have to stop at the post office for the final figure .
            Lloyd Gower
            agower@...