Re: [WarOf1812] "Let's assume".

  • John-Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      Mr Lozon,

      Relying entirely on documentation, even first person accounts, is a
      sloppy research technique as even the most "reliable" sources can
      contradict one another. One only has to look at a more recent conflict
      - The Battle of Britain - to see an example of this. Neither side were
      able to keep accurate records of victories and losses - even their own.
      According so some German sources, the RAF Fighter Command had losses
      enough to wipe it out several times over.

      George Ferguson might have scarcely noticed his wound (adrenaline is
      funny stuff) but Shadrach Byfield certainly felt his neck wound. The
      impact knocked him down with force enough to make others think he'd been
      killed outright (not to mention accidently bayoneting a fellow soldier)
      and, even after regaining his senses, had to crawl and his hands and
      knees back to find help. He'd complained about the loss of use of his
      arm and shoulder as well. But even this is a first person account that
      was written well after the event.

      On the other hand, in conversations I've had with the much maligned
      Gord Laco, he talked about firing cannon down at a range in the States
      in preparation for the movie and how some of the "common knowledge"
      about how bar and chain shot turned out to be wrong. While not
      intentionally an experiment, situations like that can add to our
      understanding of "how they did it".

      Look at a series like "Battlefield Detectives" where that use modern
      scientific methods as well as supporting documents to confirm or debunk
      what we think we know about famous battles. The episode last night
      about "The Charge of the Light Brigade" for example, showed that some
      parts of what we think is true actually is, but other things like far
      from the Brigade being decimated but rather less that 100 casualties out
      of "The Six Hundred" were discovered. Or how, in the episode on
      Agincourt, it was discovered that the much celebrated archers would have
      had little effect on the French Knights as the iron bodkin arrows could
      not have penetrated plate armour. This could have only been discovered
      through hands on research.

      Now my little back of the envelope calculations relied on certain
      conditions that are less than real world. Fine. My intent was to get a
      handle on whether a character in a movie reacted properly after being
      shot. Do my assumptions approach reality, maybe, maybe not. If you
      think I'm wrong, show me why you think so. Just don't sit there and
      criticize without bringing anything to the table except a need to feel
      superior through putting others down (and an insatiable need to have the
      last word)

      I, remain, Sir, Your Humble and Obedient Servent,

      J-P Johnson
      Bulger's Co, RNR