Re: 1812 Movie

  • natty10000
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      What about Joseph Willcocks and the Canadian Volunteers?

      Or Runchey's Coloured Corps?
    • ebclemson
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        Vic,

        The "Tigress" story would be interesting. A private Hugh McConnoughy of Captain Symmes company of the 1st U.States Infantry, was reported as being captured when the British took it.

        Why not Perrys victory?

        I like the idea of a movie on Lundy's lane....With Generals Scott, Brown and Porter, I suppose they could call it....

        "EGOS, GODS AND GENERALS."

        Other ideas.....Fort Mimms Massacre, Pigeons Roost Massacre, Fort Dearborn Massacre, Wood River Massacre, River Raisin Massacre.......sorry, I'm just dying to come up with ideas. Hummm, seems to be a theme here. Gotta love those Indians.

        Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.

      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
          Dave

          Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
          something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
          British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to a
          tragic but admirable draw.

          Vic

          > The "Tigress" story would be interesting. A private Hugh McConnoughy of
          Captain Symmes company of the 1st U.States Infantry, was reported as being
          captured when the British took it.

          > Why not Perrys victory?
          >
          > I like the idea of a movie on Lundy's lane....With Generals Scott, Brown
          and Porter, I suppose they could call it....

          > "EGOS, GODS AND GENERALS."
          >
          > Other ideas.....Fort Mimms Massacre, Pigeons Roost Massacre, Fort Dearborn
          Massacre, Wood River Massacre, River Raisin Massacre.......sorry, I'm just
          dying to come up with ideas. Hummm, seems to be a theme here. Gotta love
          those Indians.

          > Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.
          >
          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@m...> wrote:
          > > How about Miller Worseley, the loss of his 'Nancy' to the Americans in
          the
          > > Nottawasaga, his determined bateau voyage with his crew all the way to
          > > Mackinac and the recapture of the 'Scorpion' and 'Tigress' from the
          > > Americans by boarding? Straight out of Hornblower, that stuff....
          > >
          > > Vic Suthren

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          square miles...

        • PEGGY Mathews
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
            Though started by me somewhat tongue in cheek, I think that many of the
            ideas put forth, while having merit wouldn't sell. A naval battle would be
            too confusing to portray on the screen I fear. Ship to ship allows the
            viewer to keep track of things, but a "fleet" action would be very difficult
            to portray and keep the viewers interest high, and frustration level low.

            The various massacres probably wouldn't sell in the politically correct
            environment. Now if you could somehow turn them into Arab Terrorists, then
            you've got a winner. :-P

            The Niagara campaign of 1814 has a lot going for it. Action, intrigue,
            dynamic personalities, etc. Might go, but Hollywood would probably put some
            hokey thing at the end. "Everybody, high-five!"

            Problem is, our viewing audience (ticket buyers) is so ignorant of the
            history that you could loudly proclaim "The Siege of Fort Meigs and Battle
            of the Thames!" and they would go, "huh?" Add in Tecumseh and some would
            respond. Getting a studio to bankroll an attempt would require some name
            recognition. Either big stars, or Orcs. ;-)

            Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer." (Ducking for cover)

            Michael M.

            "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

            >From: <suthren@...>
            >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
            >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:11:28 -0500
            >
            >Dave
            >
            >Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
            >something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
            >British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to
            >tragic but admirable draw.
            >
            >Vic

            (snip)

            online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
            at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
            by service area.)
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003

              > Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer."  (Ducking for cover)

              Actualy I think New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
              getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and having
              to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot). Obviously anyone
              who fights a US army MUST be bad QED!

              However done right that show has enough heroics to show both sides as
              honourable men doing their duty bravely and each receving a measure of success.

              Start from the anouncement of peace reaching the British just after their
              capture of Fort Bowyer and then go into flashback. Naval actions, indian allies
              on both sides, black troops on both sides, spies, pirates, it would have to be
              done as a mini series to get it all in!

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

                -----

                From: "Tim" <BritcomHMP@...>

                ... New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
                getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and
                having to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot)....

                ------------

                Michael, great thread! with a lot of good ideas posted

                ~

                I have to agree with our learned film professional.

                New Orleans (Chalmette {Buccaneer}) would be a money maker for
                the film industry.

                ~ A definite sell for the American market

                ~ A romantic setting and a good sell for the World market

                ~ Naval actions, Indians, Black Troops, Spies, Pirates, etc.

                Movie Makers want to make money and have no interest in history,
                so Nawlins' is my vote as well. They would make it an action flick and
                with an American victory it will be a money maker.

                (There are more people living in New York City than in Canada :-)
                so a USA focused film will make them more $$$$$$
                Films are all made to make a profit !!)

                Jest being realistic, sorry .......

                Yrs,
                Larry
              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                  battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                  Zulu chant?? ;-)

                  Regards,

                  Bob Dorian
                  Independence, Missouri
                  USA
                • PEGGY Mathews
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                    To add a fantasy/mystic element, they could have the West Indies regiments
                    indulging in pre-battle voodoo and work in chanting there! Ah, then their
                    sacrifice is spoiled by an over-zealous British officer and that's why they
                    lost!

                    I should move to Hollywood, I understand the way they think!

                    Cynically yours,
                    Michael

                    "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

                    >From: dancingbobd@...
                    >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
                    >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:42:16 -0600 (CST)
                    >
                    >Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                    >battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                    >Zulu chant?? ;-)
                    >
                    >Regards,
                    >
                    >Bob Dorian
                    >Independence, Missouri
                    >USA

                    >of square miles...

                    Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
                    online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!
                  • Smaller, Brian C
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                      or get Peter Jackson to make the movie here in New Zealand and the battle
                      scenes will only need a hundred soldiers to make it look like ten thousand!

                      Brian
                      (Putting in a plug for the hometown!)

                    • natty10000
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                        Truth be told, any particular battle (and the War itself) would
                        probably play second-fiddle. Most people are going to be interested
                        in a romance or adventure set against the backdrop of a particular
                        battle with the standard doomed characters. In that context, it could
                        be just about any engagement from the smallest to the largest. As
                        long as there's a ripping good tale, well told and well acted, people
                        will be interested no matter who actually won the real deal way back
                        when.
                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                          In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@... writes:
                          >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                          >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                          > Yrs,
                          > Larry

                          Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                          THE Thin Red Line
                          www.93rdhighlanders.com

                        • hm95thfoot
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                            > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                            > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                            > > Yrs,
                            > > Larry
                            > >

                            > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                            > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                            > THE Thin Red Line
                            > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                            ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                            this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                            people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                            fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....

                            Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                            RWF
                          • David Lynch
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 8, 2003
                              Great idea, Tim...

                              Just as long as they also included the omnipresent trews-catching
                              brambles, and a couple of scenes of British soldiers bonking each
                              other over the head to steal trousers!

                              {{{Ahem}}}

                              Cheers,
                              Dave Lynch
                              Lt., 93rd

                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 9, 2003
                                In a message dated 7/12/2003 8:50:30 AM, fullerfamily@... writes:

                                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:
                                > >
                                > > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                                > > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                                > > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                                > > > Yrs,
                                > > > Larry
                                > > >

                                > > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                                > > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                > > THE Thin Red Line
                                > > www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                >
                                > ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                                > this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                                > people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                                > fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....
                                >
                                > Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                                Right on, right on, right on, Undercover Brother!
                                (Oh yes -- Before anyone challenges me on any racism allegations regarding
                                the latter sentence...I am actually quite good friends with "Smart Brother". So
                                there. Nyahhhhh.)

                                93rd SHRoFLHU
                                THE Thin Red Line
                                www.93rdhighlanders.com

                              • John E. Hesselberg
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                  Howdy folks. Speaking of movies, if you can call it that, there was a
                                  TNT production a few years a ago on the life of Tecumsa,
                                  called "Tecumsa" (I beleive.) It encompasses a bit of the War of 1812
                                  but not a lot.
                                  John
                                  43rd LIR