Re: [WarOf1812] 1812 Movie

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      How about Miller Worseley, the loss of his 'Nancy' to the Americans in the
      Nottawasaga, his determined bateau voyage with his crew all the way to
      Mackinac and the recapture of the 'Scorpion' and 'Tigress' from the
      Americans by boarding? Straight out of Hornblower, that stuff....

      Vic Suthren

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        What about Joseph Willcocks and the Canadian Volunteers?

        Or Runchey's Coloured Corps?
      • ebclemson
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          Vic,

          The "Tigress" story would be interesting. A private Hugh McConnoughy of Captain Symmes company of the 1st U.States Infantry, was reported as being captured when the British took it.

          Why not Perrys victory?

          I like the idea of a movie on Lundy's lane....With Generals Scott, Brown and Porter, I suppose they could call it....

          "EGOS, GODS AND GENERALS."

          Other ideas.....Fort Mimms Massacre, Pigeons Roost Massacre, Fort Dearborn Massacre, Wood River Massacre, River Raisin Massacre.......sorry, I'm just dying to come up with ideas. Hummm, seems to be a theme here. Gotta love those Indians.

          Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.

        • suthren@magma.ca
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
            Dave

            Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
            something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
            British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to a
            tragic but admirable draw.

            Vic

            > The "Tigress" story would be interesting. A private Hugh McConnoughy of
            Captain Symmes company of the 1st U.States Infantry, was reported as being
            captured when the British took it.

            > Why not Perrys victory?
            >
            > I like the idea of a movie on Lundy's lane....With Generals Scott, Brown
            and Porter, I suppose they could call it....

            > "EGOS, GODS AND GENERALS."
            >
            > Other ideas.....Fort Mimms Massacre, Pigeons Roost Massacre, Fort Dearborn
            Massacre, Wood River Massacre, River Raisin Massacre.......sorry, I'm just
            dying to come up with ideas. Hummm, seems to be a theme here. Gotta love
            those Indians.

            > Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.
            >
            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@m...> wrote:
            > > How about Miller Worseley, the loss of his 'Nancy' to the Americans in
            the
            > > Nottawasaga, his determined bateau voyage with his crew all the way to
            > > Mackinac and the recapture of the 'Scorpion' and 'Tigress' from the
            > > Americans by boarding? Straight out of Hornblower, that stuff....
            > >
            > > Vic Suthren

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            square miles...

          • PEGGY Mathews
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
              Though started by me somewhat tongue in cheek, I think that many of the
              ideas put forth, while having merit wouldn't sell. A naval battle would be
              too confusing to portray on the screen I fear. Ship to ship allows the
              viewer to keep track of things, but a "fleet" action would be very difficult
              to portray and keep the viewers interest high, and frustration level low.

              The various massacres probably wouldn't sell in the politically correct
              environment. Now if you could somehow turn them into Arab Terrorists, then
              you've got a winner. :-P

              The Niagara campaign of 1814 has a lot going for it. Action, intrigue,
              dynamic personalities, etc. Might go, but Hollywood would probably put some
              hokey thing at the end. "Everybody, high-five!"

              Problem is, our viewing audience (ticket buyers) is so ignorant of the
              history that you could loudly proclaim "The Siege of Fort Meigs and Battle
              of the Thames!" and they would go, "huh?" Add in Tecumseh and some would
              respond. Getting a studio to bankroll an attempt would require some name
              recognition. Either big stars, or Orcs. ;-)

              Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer." (Ducking for cover)

              Michael M.

              "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

              >From: <suthren@...>
              >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
              >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:11:28 -0500
              >
              >Dave
              >
              >Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
              >something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
              >British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to
              >tragic but admirable draw.
              >
              >Vic

              (snip)

              online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
              at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
              by service area.)
            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003

                > Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer."  (Ducking for cover)

                Actualy I think New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
                getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and having
                to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot). Obviously anyone
                who fights a US army MUST be bad QED!

                However done right that show has enough heroics to show both sides as
                honourable men doing their duty bravely and each receving a measure of success.

                Start from the anouncement of peace reaching the British just after their
                capture of Fort Bowyer and then go into flashback. Naval actions, indian allies
                on both sides, black troops on both sides, spies, pirates, it would have to be
                done as a mini series to get it all in!

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                  From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

                  -----

                  From: "Tim" <BritcomHMP@...>

                  ... New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
                  getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and
                  having to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot)....

                  ------------

                  Michael, great thread! with a lot of good ideas posted

                  ~

                  I have to agree with our learned film professional.

                  New Orleans (Chalmette {Buccaneer}) would be a money maker for
                  the film industry.

                  ~ A definite sell for the American market

                  ~ A romantic setting and a good sell for the World market

                  ~ Naval actions, Indians, Black Troops, Spies, Pirates, etc.

                  Movie Makers want to make money and have no interest in history,
                  so Nawlins' is my vote as well. They would make it an action flick and
                  with an American victory it will be a money maker.

                  (There are more people living in New York City than in Canada :-)
                  so a USA focused film will make them more $$$$$$
                  Films are all made to make a profit !!)

                  Jest being realistic, sorry .......

                  Yrs,
                  Larry
                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                    battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                    Zulu chant?? ;-)

                    Regards,

                    Bob Dorian
                    Independence, Missouri
                    USA
                  • PEGGY Mathews
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                      To add a fantasy/mystic element, they could have the West Indies regiments
                      indulging in pre-battle voodoo and work in chanting there! Ah, then their
                      sacrifice is spoiled by an over-zealous British officer and that's why they
                      lost!

                      I should move to Hollywood, I understand the way they think!

                      Cynically yours,
                      Michael

                      "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

                      >From: dancingbobd@...
                      >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
                      >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:42:16 -0600 (CST)
                      >
                      >Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                      >battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                      >Zulu chant?? ;-)
                      >
                      >Regards,
                      >
                      >Bob Dorian
                      >Independence, Missouri
                      >USA

                      >of square miles...

                      Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
                      online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!
                    • Smaller, Brian C
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                        or get Peter Jackson to make the movie here in New Zealand and the battle
                        scenes will only need a hundred soldiers to make it look like ten thousand!

                        Brian
                        (Putting in a plug for the hometown!)

                      • natty10000
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                          Truth be told, any particular battle (and the War itself) would
                          probably play second-fiddle. Most people are going to be interested
                          in a romance or adventure set against the backdrop of a particular
                          battle with the standard doomed characters. In that context, it could
                          be just about any engagement from the smallest to the largest. As
                          long as there's a ripping good tale, well told and well acted, people
                          will be interested no matter who actually won the real deal way back
                          when.
                        • HQ93rd@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                            In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@... writes:
                            >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                            >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                            > Yrs,
                            > Larry

                            Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                            THE Thin Red Line
                            www.93rdhighlanders.com

                          • hm95thfoot
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                              > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                              > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                              > > Yrs,
                              > > Larry
                              > >

                              > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                              > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                              > THE Thin Red Line
                              > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                              ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                              this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                              people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                              fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....

                              Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                              RWF
                            • David Lynch
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 8, 2003
                                Great idea, Tim...

                                Just as long as they also included the omnipresent trews-catching
                                brambles, and a couple of scenes of British soldiers bonking each
                                other over the head to steal trousers!

                                {{{Ahem}}}

                                Cheers,
                                Dave Lynch
                                Lt., 93rd

                              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 9, 2003
                                  In a message dated 7/12/2003 8:50:30 AM, fullerfamily@... writes:

                                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                                  > > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                                  > > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                                  > > > Yrs,
                                  > > > Larry
                                  > > >

                                  > > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                                  > > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  > > THE Thin Red Line
                                  > > www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                  >
                                  > ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                                  > this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                                  > people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                                  > fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....
                                  >
                                  > Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                                  Right on, right on, right on, Undercover Brother!
                                  (Oh yes -- Before anyone challenges me on any racism allegations regarding
                                  the latter sentence...I am actually quite good friends with "Smart Brother". So
                                  there. Nyahhhhh.)

                                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  THE Thin Red Line
                                  www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                • John E. Hesselberg
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                    Howdy folks. Speaking of movies, if you can call it that, there was a
                                    TNT production a few years a ago on the life of Tecumsa,
                                    called "Tecumsa" (I beleive.) It encompasses a bit of the War of 1812
                                    but not a lot.
                                    John
                                    43rd LIR