1812 Movie

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      Maybe it's just me, but ever since I read The Bully Boys by Eric
      Walters almost 4 years ago now, I've thought a movie on James
      FitzGibbon would be really interesting...

      Kate
      "...so what would make a good 1812 movie script?..."

      from Michael M.
    • Kate

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          How about Miller Worseley, the loss of his 'Nancy' to the Americans in the
          Nottawasaga, his determined bateau voyage with his crew all the way to
          Mackinac and the recapture of the 'Scorpion' and 'Tigress' from the
          Americans by boarding? Straight out of Hornblower, that stuff....

          Vic Suthren

          > Maybe it's just me, but ever since I read The Bully Boys by Eric
          > Walters almost 4 years ago now, I've thought a movie on James
          > FitzGibbon would be really interesting...
          >
          > Kate
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > "...so what would make a good 1812 movie script?..."
          >
          > from Michael M.
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          square miles...

        • natty10000
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
            What about Joseph Willcocks and the Canadian Volunteers?

            Or Runchey's Coloured Corps?
          • ebclemson
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
              Vic,

              The "Tigress" story would be interesting. A private Hugh McConnoughy of Captain Symmes company of the 1st U.States Infantry, was reported as being captured when the British took it.

              Why not Perrys victory?

              I like the idea of a movie on Lundy's lane....With Generals Scott, Brown and Porter, I suppose they could call it....

              "EGOS, GODS AND GENERALS."

              Other ideas.....Fort Mimms Massacre, Pigeons Roost Massacre, Fort Dearborn Massacre, Wood River Massacre, River Raisin Massacre.......sorry, I'm just dying to come up with ideas. Hummm, seems to be a theme here. Gotta love those Indians.

              Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.

            • suthren@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                Dave

                Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
                something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
                British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to a
                tragic but admirable draw.

                Vic

                > The "Tigress" story would be interesting. A private Hugh McConnoughy of
                Captain Symmes company of the 1st U.States Infantry, was reported as being
                captured when the British took it.

                > Why not Perrys victory?
                >
                > I like the idea of a movie on Lundy's lane....With Generals Scott, Brown
                and Porter, I suppose they could call it....

                > "EGOS, GODS AND GENERALS."
                >
                > Other ideas.....Fort Mimms Massacre, Pigeons Roost Massacre, Fort Dearborn
                Massacre, Wood River Massacre, River Raisin Massacre.......sorry, I'm just
                dying to come up with ideas. Hummm, seems to be a theme here. Gotta love
                those Indians.

                > Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.
                >
                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@m...> wrote:
                > > How about Miller Worseley, the loss of his 'Nancy' to the Americans in
                the
                > > Nottawasaga, his determined bateau voyage with his crew all the way to
                > > Mackinac and the recapture of the 'Scorpion' and 'Tigress' from the
                > > Americans by boarding? Straight out of Hornblower, that stuff....
                > >
                > > Vic Suthren

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                square miles...

              • PEGGY Mathews
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Though started by me somewhat tongue in cheek, I think that many of the
                  ideas put forth, while having merit wouldn't sell. A naval battle would be
                  too confusing to portray on the screen I fear. Ship to ship allows the
                  viewer to keep track of things, but a "fleet" action would be very difficult
                  to portray and keep the viewers interest high, and frustration level low.

                  The various massacres probably wouldn't sell in the politically correct
                  environment. Now if you could somehow turn them into Arab Terrorists, then
                  you've got a winner. :-P

                  The Niagara campaign of 1814 has a lot going for it. Action, intrigue,
                  dynamic personalities, etc. Might go, but Hollywood would probably put some
                  hokey thing at the end. "Everybody, high-five!"

                  Problem is, our viewing audience (ticket buyers) is so ignorant of the
                  history that you could loudly proclaim "The Siege of Fort Meigs and Battle
                  of the Thames!" and they would go, "huh?" Add in Tecumseh and some would
                  respond. Getting a studio to bankroll an attempt would require some name
                  recognition. Either big stars, or Orcs. ;-)

                  Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer." (Ducking for cover)

                  Michael M.

                  "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

                  >From: <suthren@...>
                  >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
                  >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:11:28 -0500
                  >
                  >Dave
                  >
                  >Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
                  >something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
                  >British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to
                  >tragic but admirable draw.
                  >
                  >Vic

                  (snip)

                  online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
                  at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
                  by service area.)
                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003

                    > Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer."  (Ducking for cover)

                    Actualy I think New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
                    getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and having
                    to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot). Obviously anyone
                    who fights a US army MUST be bad QED!

                    However done right that show has enough heroics to show both sides as
                    honourable men doing their duty bravely and each receving a measure of success.

                    Start from the anouncement of peace reaching the British just after their
                    capture of Fort Bowyer and then go into flashback. Naval actions, indian allies
                    on both sides, black troops on both sides, spies, pirates, it would have to be
                    done as a mini series to get it all in!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                      From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

                      -----

                      From: "Tim" <BritcomHMP@...>

                      ... New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
                      getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and
                      having to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot)....

                      ------------

                      Michael, great thread! with a lot of good ideas posted

                      ~

                      I have to agree with our learned film professional.

                      New Orleans (Chalmette {Buccaneer}) would be a money maker for
                      the film industry.

                      ~ A definite sell for the American market

                      ~ A romantic setting and a good sell for the World market

                      ~ Naval actions, Indians, Black Troops, Spies, Pirates, etc.

                      Movie Makers want to make money and have no interest in history,
                      so Nawlins' is my vote as well. They would make it an action flick and
                      with an American victory it will be a money maker.

                      (There are more people living in New York City than in Canada :-)
                      so a USA focused film will make them more $$$$$$
                      Films are all made to make a profit !!)

                      Jest being realistic, sorry .......

                      Yrs,
                      Larry
                    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                        Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                        battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                        Zulu chant?? ;-)

                        Regards,

                        Bob Dorian
                        Independence, Missouri
                        USA
                      • PEGGY Mathews
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                          To add a fantasy/mystic element, they could have the West Indies regiments
                          indulging in pre-battle voodoo and work in chanting there! Ah, then their
                          sacrifice is spoiled by an over-zealous British officer and that's why they
                          lost!

                          I should move to Hollywood, I understand the way they think!

                          Cynically yours,
                          Michael

                          "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

                          >From: dancingbobd@...
                          >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
                          >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:42:16 -0600 (CST)
                          >
                          >Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                          >battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                          >Zulu chant?? ;-)
                          >
                          >Regards,
                          >
                          >Bob Dorian
                          >Independence, Missouri
                          >USA

                          >of square miles...

                          Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
                          online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!
                        • Smaller, Brian C
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                            or get Peter Jackson to make the movie here in New Zealand and the battle
                            scenes will only need a hundred soldiers to make it look like ten thousand!

                            Brian
                            (Putting in a plug for the hometown!)

                          • natty10000
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                              Truth be told, any particular battle (and the War itself) would
                              probably play second-fiddle. Most people are going to be interested
                              in a romance or adventure set against the backdrop of a particular
                              battle with the standard doomed characters. In that context, it could
                              be just about any engagement from the smallest to the largest. As
                              long as there's a ripping good tale, well told and well acted, people
                              will be interested no matter who actually won the real deal way back
                              when.
                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                                In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@... writes:
                                >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                                >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                                > Yrs,
                                > Larry

                                Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                                93rd SHRoFLHU
                                THE Thin Red Line
                                www.93rdhighlanders.com

                              • hm95thfoot
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                                  > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                                  > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                                  > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                                  > > Yrs,
                                  > > Larry
                                  > >

                                  > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                                  > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  > THE Thin Red Line
                                  > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                  ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                                  this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                                  people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                                  fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....

                                  Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                                  RWF
                                • David Lynch
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 8, 2003
                                    Great idea, Tim...

                                    Just as long as they also included the omnipresent trews-catching
                                    brambles, and a couple of scenes of British soldiers bonking each
                                    other over the head to steal trousers!

                                    {{{Ahem}}}

                                    Cheers,
                                    Dave Lynch
                                    Lt., 93rd

                                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 9, 2003
                                      In a message dated 7/12/2003 8:50:30 AM, fullerfamily@... writes:

                                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                                      > > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                                      > > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                                      > > > Yrs,
                                      > > > Larry
                                      > > >

                                      > > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                                      > > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                      > > THE Thin Red Line
                                      > > www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                      >
                                      > ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                                      > this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                                      > people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                                      > fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....
                                      >
                                      > Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                                      Right on, right on, right on, Undercover Brother!
                                      (Oh yes -- Before anyone challenges me on any racism allegations regarding
                                      the latter sentence...I am actually quite good friends with "Smart Brother". So
                                      there. Nyahhhhh.)

                                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                                      THE Thin Red Line
                                      www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                    • John E. Hesselberg
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                        Howdy folks. Speaking of movies, if you can call it that, there was a
                                        TNT production a few years a ago on the life of Tecumsa,
                                        called "Tecumsa" (I beleive.) It encompasses a bit of the War of 1812
                                        but not a lot.
                                        John
                                        43rd LIR