1812 Movie - was Re: [WarOf1812] DVD of Zulu

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      Okay folks, so what would make a good 1812 movie script? What campaign,
      voyage, battle, etc. would be of interest (sell tickets) and satisfy our
      hunger for the history of our period?

      If it hadn't been done after a fashion recently, the voyage of the Essex
      immediately pops into my mind. Not sure who would best play Porter.

      The Chippewa/Lundy's Lane campaign might play. Two battles, interesting
      personalities on both sides. But where to find the love interest?

      Raiding Washington and Baltimore could sell. All in one movie with the
      heroic image at the end to pull in the US audiences. Christopher Walken as
      President Madison, Sally Fields as Dolly Madison (thereby pulling in the
      women viewers), Bruce Willis as Joshua Barney, Tim (the Tool Man) Allen as
      General Windor, Rob Lowe as Francis Scott Key.... It could play! Andrian
      Paul as General Ross and Kurt Russel as Cockburn (sp?). Benton, you be our
      pitch man?!

      Others?

      Michael M.

      >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
      (snip)

      >So Michael, I meant now is time for an 1812 movie
      >

      >Larry
      (snip)

      online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
      at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
      by service area.)
    • Kate
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        Maybe it's just me, but ever since I read The Bully Boys by Eric
        Walters almost 4 years ago now, I've thought a movie on James
        FitzGibbon would be really interesting...

        Kate
        "...so what would make a good 1812 movie script?..."

        from Michael M.
      • Kate

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
            How about Miller Worseley, the loss of his 'Nancy' to the Americans in the
            Nottawasaga, his determined bateau voyage with his crew all the way to
            Mackinac and the recapture of the 'Scorpion' and 'Tigress' from the
            Americans by boarding? Straight out of Hornblower, that stuff....

            Vic Suthren

            > Maybe it's just me, but ever since I read The Bully Boys by Eric
            > Walters almost 4 years ago now, I've thought a movie on James
            > FitzGibbon would be really interesting...
            >
            > Kate
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > "...so what would make a good 1812 movie script?..."
            >
            > from Michael M.
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            square miles...

          • natty10000
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
              What about Joseph Willcocks and the Canadian Volunteers?

              Or Runchey's Coloured Corps?
            • ebclemson
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
                Vic,

                The "Tigress" story would be interesting. A private Hugh McConnoughy of Captain Symmes company of the 1st U.States Infantry, was reported as being captured when the British took it.

                Why not Perrys victory?

                I like the idea of a movie on Lundy's lane....With Generals Scott, Brown and Porter, I suppose they could call it....

                "EGOS, GODS AND GENERALS."

                Other ideas.....Fort Mimms Massacre, Pigeons Roost Massacre, Fort Dearborn Massacre, Wood River Massacre, River Raisin Massacre.......sorry, I'm just dying to come up with ideas. Hummm, seems to be a theme here. Gotta love those Indians.

                Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.

              • suthren@magma.ca
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Dave

                  Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
                  something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
                  British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to a
                  tragic but admirable draw.

                  Vic

                  > The "Tigress" story would be interesting. A private Hugh McConnoughy of
                  Captain Symmes company of the 1st U.States Infantry, was reported as being
                  captured when the British took it.

                  > Why not Perrys victory?
                  >
                  > I like the idea of a movie on Lundy's lane....With Generals Scott, Brown
                  and Porter, I suppose they could call it....

                  > "EGOS, GODS AND GENERALS."
                  >
                  > Other ideas.....Fort Mimms Massacre, Pigeons Roost Massacre, Fort Dearborn
                  Massacre, Wood River Massacre, River Raisin Massacre.......sorry, I'm just
                  dying to come up with ideas. Hummm, seems to be a theme here. Gotta love
                  those Indians.

                  > Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.
                  >
                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@m...> wrote:
                  > > How about Miller Worseley, the loss of his 'Nancy' to the Americans in
                  the
                  > > Nottawasaga, his determined bateau voyage with his crew all the way to
                  > > Mackinac and the recapture of the 'Scorpion' and 'Tigress' from the
                  > > Americans by boarding? Straight out of Hornblower, that stuff....
                  > >
                  > > Vic Suthren

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  square miles...

                • PEGGY Mathews
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Though started by me somewhat tongue in cheek, I think that many of the
                    ideas put forth, while having merit wouldn't sell. A naval battle would be
                    too confusing to portray on the screen I fear. Ship to ship allows the
                    viewer to keep track of things, but a "fleet" action would be very difficult
                    to portray and keep the viewers interest high, and frustration level low.

                    The various massacres probably wouldn't sell in the politically correct
                    environment. Now if you could somehow turn them into Arab Terrorists, then
                    you've got a winner. :-P

                    The Niagara campaign of 1814 has a lot going for it. Action, intrigue,
                    dynamic personalities, etc. Might go, but Hollywood would probably put some
                    hokey thing at the end. "Everybody, high-five!"

                    Problem is, our viewing audience (ticket buyers) is so ignorant of the
                    history that you could loudly proclaim "The Siege of Fort Meigs and Battle
                    of the Thames!" and they would go, "huh?" Add in Tecumseh and some would
                    respond. Getting a studio to bankroll an attempt would require some name
                    recognition. Either big stars, or Orcs. ;-)

                    Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer." (Ducking for cover)

                    Michael M.

                    "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003

                      > Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer."  (Ducking for cover)

                      Actualy I think New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
                      getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and having
                      to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot). Obviously anyone
                      who fights a US army MUST be bad QED!

                      However done right that show has enough heroics to show both sides as
                      honourable men doing their duty bravely and each receving a measure of success.

                      Start from the anouncement of peace reaching the British just after their
                      capture of Fort Bowyer and then go into flashback. Naval actions, indian allies
                      on both sides, black troops on both sides, spies, pirates, it would have to be
                      done as a mini series to get it all in!

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                        From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

                        -----

                        From: "Tim" <BritcomHMP@...>

                        ... New Orleans would make a good subject. The problem would be
                        getting the writers away from 'white hat, black hat' simplification and
                        having to portray the Brits as EEeeeeevillllll (as per The Patriot)....

                        ------------

                        Michael, great thread! with a lot of good ideas posted

                        ~

                        I have to agree with our learned film professional.

                        New Orleans (Chalmette {Buccaneer}) would be a money maker for
                        the film industry.

                        ~ A definite sell for the American market

                        ~ A romantic setting and a good sell for the World market

                        ~ Naval actions, Indians, Black Troops, Spies, Pirates, etc.

                        Movie Makers want to make money and have no interest in history,
                        so Nawlins' is my vote as well. They would make it an action flick and
                        with an American victory it will be a money maker.

                        (There are more people living in New York City than in Canada :-)
                        so a USA focused film will make them more $$$$$$
                        Films are all made to make a profit !!)

                        Jest being realistic, sorry .......

                        Yrs,
                        Larry
                      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                          Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                          battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                          Zulu chant?? ;-)

                          Regards,

                          Bob Dorian
                          Independence, Missouri
                          USA
                        • PEGGY Mathews
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                            To add a fantasy/mystic element, they could have the West Indies regiments
                            indulging in pre-battle voodoo and work in chanting there! Ah, then their
                            sacrifice is spoiled by an over-zealous British officer and that's why they
                            lost!

                            I should move to Hollywood, I understand the way they think!

                            Cynically yours,
                            Michael

                            "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

                            >From: dancingbobd@...
                            >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
                            >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:42:16 -0600 (CST)
                            >
                            >Great thoughts Tim. Plus, it has the advantage of being the best known
                            >battle of the War to the general public. But where will the put they
                            >Zulu chant?? ;-)
                            >
                            >Regards,
                            >
                            >Bob Dorian
                            >Independence, Missouri
                            >USA

                            >of square miles...

                            Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
                            online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!
                          • Smaller, Brian C
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                              or get Peter Jackson to make the movie here in New Zealand and the battle
                              scenes will only need a hundred soldiers to make it look like ten thousand!

                              Brian
                              (Putting in a plug for the hometown!)

                            • natty10000
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                                Truth be told, any particular battle (and the War itself) would
                                probably play second-fiddle. Most people are going to be interested
                                in a romance or adventure set against the backdrop of a particular
                                battle with the standard doomed characters. In that context, it could
                                be just about any engagement from the smallest to the largest. As
                                long as there's a ripping good tale, well told and well acted, people
                                will be interested no matter who actually won the real deal way back
                                when.
                              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                                  In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@... writes:
                                  >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                                  >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                                  > Yrs,
                                  > Larry

                                  Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  THE Thin Red Line
                                  www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                • hm95thfoot
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 7, 2003
                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                                    > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                                    > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                                    > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                                    > > Yrs,
                                    > > Larry
                                    > >

                                    > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                                    > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                    > THE Thin Red Line
                                    > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                    ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                                    this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                                    people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                                    fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....

                                    Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                                    RWF
                                  • David Lynch
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 8, 2003
                                      Great idea, Tim...

                                      Just as long as they also included the omnipresent trews-catching
                                      brambles, and a couple of scenes of British soldiers bonking each
                                      other over the head to steal trousers!

                                      {{{Ahem}}}

                                      Cheers,
                                      Dave Lynch
                                      Lt., 93rd

                                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 9, 2003
                                        In a message dated 7/12/2003 8:50:30 AM, fullerfamily@... writes:

                                        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > In a message dated 2/12/2003 9:58:56 AM, lalozon@n... writes:
                                        > > >   Films are all made to make a profit !!)
                                        > > >   Jest being realistic, sorry .......
                                        > > > Yrs,
                                        > > > Larry
                                        > > >

                                        > > Something I have been trying to tell reenactors for years....

                                        > > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                        > > THE Thin Red Line
                                        > > www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                        >
                                        > ....and I can't begin to count how often I have quoted your posts on
                                        > this subject to other reenactors on other fora, in the hope that
                                        > people will learn to _not_ do it for free, and to demand _and get_
                                        > fair treatment and compensation for their contributions....
                                        >
                                        > Reenactors are their own worst enemies sometimes.

                                        Right on, right on, right on, Undercover Brother!
                                        (Oh yes -- Before anyone challenges me on any racism allegations regarding
                                        the latter sentence...I am actually quite good friends with "Smart Brother". So
                                        there. Nyahhhhh.)

                                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                                        THE Thin Red Line
                                        www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                      • John E. Hesselberg
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 20 7:17 PM
                                          Howdy folks. Speaking of movies, if you can call it that, there was a
                                          TNT production a few years a ago on the life of Tecumsa,
                                          called "Tecumsa" (I beleive.) It encompasses a bit of the War of 1812
                                          but not a lot.
                                          John
                                          43rd LIR