Officer's Mess

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      From: <dancingbobd@...>

      Every officers mess should have a butt of Madeira on hand at all
      times! ;^) I'll drink [hic - hic[ to that. <G>

      ------------------------

      Dr.Bob,

      I am reading a very good book

      "OFFICER'S MESS"
      Life and Customs in the Regiments

      by Lt. Col. R.J. Dickinson
      Himalayan Books, New Delhi-110013
      ISBN 81-7002-028-X

      "Being a history of Mess origins and customs from a wealth
      of Military records; enlivened anecdotes of mess times remembered ........."

      Although more of a Victorian history, this books sites documentation from
      1783 re: Royal Artillery Mess at Woolwich and other 1812'ish reports.

      It states which Regiments had what toasts and certain Messes (Crown Forces)
      only stocked "Official Drinks", some Port, Madeira, Sherry, Claret, etc. but
      some
      did not. So ........ NOT "Every officers mess would have a butt of Madeira
      on hand
      at all times!

      I have been searching information on American Regiment's Mess histories but
      they
      are hard for this Canadian to acquire.

      Yrs,
      Larry
      PS: Nothing on "Almond Sherry" :^)
    • Steve Abolt
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2003
        Larry,
        In my research I have found very little if any at
        present on the rules of US Officer's Messes. However,
        the following order concerns the mess of the NCO's and
        enlisted men of Company B 7th US Infantry in 1817.
        Though just after the war years it is interesting in
        its detail.

        It was found by Jim Parker of the Alabama Historical
        Society in the National Archives in Record Group 98.
        "Orderly Book of the 1st light Company 7th Regiment"

        The fort in question in Ft. Montgomery approx. 50
        miles north of Mobile, AL. It is named for Major
        Lemuel Montgomery of the 39th USI who was killed in
        the battle of Horseshoe Bend.

        "Camp Montgomery
        20th June 1817 Company Order:

        1st The married men (whether non-commissioned
        officers, musicians or privates)have the privilege of
        messing with their wives, all others form a company
        mess.

        2nd The whole Company mess shall Breakfast, Dine and
        Sup at the same hour. Breakfast shall be ready at the
        beating of the breakfast drum and Dinner shall be
        readiness and on the table at the beating of the one
        o'clock Drum and Supper after retreat.

        3rd Any non-commissioned officer or Musician absent
        will forfeit mess.

        4th The liquor ration shall be placed at the table at
        the evening meal. The practice of drinking champagne
        & Madeira in the mess is abolished unless friends are
        present or they are willing to share.

        5th None of the mess shall sit down to the table until
        the cooks shall have reported the Breakfast, Dinner or
        supper are in readyness.

        6. The Cook shall clean the mess equipage as soon as
        meals are over & put them away taking care that none
        are lost...nothing to be removed except for
        guards....the senior Non-commissioned officer shall
        take the head of the table, the next the foot, the two
        next the center...the cooks shall keep their persons
        and premises perfectly clean.

        Signed:
        William Bee"

        In he 7th we have a Sunday morning Friends of the Cook
        when the cook dispenses champagne.

        All the best,
        S.

        --- Larry Lozon <lalozon@...> wrote:
        > I have been searching information on American
        > Regiment's Mess histories but
        > they
        > are hard for this Canadian to acquire.

        =====