"Let's assume".

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>

      Let's assume assume a a perfect musket with a barrel length
      of 48 in (1.2 m) accelerating .........

      Mr Johnson et al,

      The operative words are "Let's assume".
      Thus

      From: "Ray Hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>

      "One of the ways of finding out is to listen to those who were actually
      hit by musket balls during the conflict. One, George Ferguson,(Light
      Company, 100th Regt. of Foot) was wounded .."

      As Mr. Williams has stated, assuming does not count, we must go to
      original documents if we want to know what really happened.

      Yrs,
      Larry

      PS: The verdict is out whether your cousin's boyfriend's uncle's barber's
      descriptions can be used as documentation! :^)
    • PEGGY Mathews
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        And yet any and all research must begin with a hypothesis or an assumption.
        i.e. "Assuming there was a battle fought at Lundy's Lane..." So to nitpick
        over establishing a parameter (standard length of musket) is just, well,
        nitpicking IMHO.

        Calling it as I see it, your friend,

        Michael

        (snip)
        >From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>
        >
        >Let's assume assume a a perfect musket with a barrel length
        >of 48 in (1.2 m) accelerating .........

        >Mr Johnson et al,
        >
        > The operative words are "Let's assume".
        >Thus
        >
        >From: "Ray Hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>
        >

        >"One of the ways of finding out is to listen to those who were actually
        >hit by musket balls during the conflict. One, George Ferguson,(Light
        >Company, 100th Regt. of Foot) was wounded .."
        >
        >As Mr. Williams has stated, assuming does not count, we must go to
        >original documents if we want to know what really happened.
        >
        >Yrs,
        >Larry
        (snip)

        Say �goodbye� to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
        connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          From: "PEGGY Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

          > And yet any and all research must begin with a hypothesis or an
          assumption.
          > i.e. "Assuming there was a battle fought at Lundy's Lane..." So to
          nitpick
          > over establishing a parameter (standard length of musket) is just, well,
          > nitpicking IMHO.

          Mon Ami'

          Assuming is good, but if Original Documentation is avail re:
          Lundy's Lane,
          assuming is not necessary ...... as if would of, could of, ..... well you
          know.

          Example: "What uniform is needed"

          "Archives reports-" Returns for the Regt. state they wore

          Your friend

          Larry
          (Wore out the movie yet?)
        • John-Paul Johnson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
            Mr Lozon,

            Relying entirely on documentation, even first person accounts, is a
            sloppy research technique as even the most "reliable" sources can
            contradict one another. One only has to look at a more recent conflict
            - The Battle of Britain - to see an example of this. Neither side were
            able to keep accurate records of victories and losses - even their own.
            According so some German sources, the RAF Fighter Command had losses
            enough to wipe it out several times over.

            George Ferguson might have scarcely noticed his wound (adrenaline is
            funny stuff) but Shadrach Byfield certainly felt his neck wound. The
            impact knocked him down with force enough to make others think he'd been
            killed outright (not to mention accidently bayoneting a fellow soldier)
            and, even after regaining his senses, had to crawl and his hands and
            knees back to find help. He'd complained about the loss of use of his
            arm and shoulder as well. But even this is a first person account that
            was written well after the event.

            On the other hand, in conversations I've had with the much maligned
            Gord Laco, he talked about firing cannon down at a range in the States
            in preparation for the movie and how some of the "common knowledge"
            about how bar and chain shot turned out to be wrong. While not
            intentionally an experiment, situations like that can add to our
            understanding of "how they did it".

            Look at a series like "Battlefield Detectives" where that use modern
            scientific methods as well as supporting documents to confirm or debunk
            what we think we know about famous battles. The episode last night
            about "The Charge of the Light Brigade" for example, showed that some
            parts of what we think is true actually is, but other things like far
            from the Brigade being decimated but rather less that 100 casualties out
            of "The Six Hundred" were discovered. Or how, in the episode on
            Agincourt, it was discovered that the much celebrated archers would have
            had little effect on the French Knights as the iron bodkin arrows could
            not have penetrated plate armour. This could have only been discovered
            through hands on research.

            Now my little back of the envelope calculations relied on certain
            conditions that are less than real world. Fine. My intent was to get a
            handle on whether a character in a movie reacted properly after being
            shot. Do my assumptions approach reality, maybe, maybe not. If you
            think I'm wrong, show me why you think so. Just don't sit there and
            criticize without bringing anything to the table except a need to feel
            superior through putting others down (and an insatiable need to have the
            last word)

            I, remain, Sir, Your Humble and Obedient Servent,

            J-P Johnson
            Bulger's Co, RNR