Re: [WarOf1812] Musket ball impact

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
      List:
      One of the ways of finding out is to listen to those who were actually
      hit by musket balls during the conflict. One, George Ferguson,(Light
      Company, 100th Regt. of Foot) was wounded in the left arm at Chippewa.
      The ball lodged in his arm near the elbow, and was later removed in
      hospital by Surgeon Alexander Thom at York. The remarkable thing is
      that Ferguson writes the following "When I received my wound I knew
      nothing of it until my piece fell out of my hand and I saw the blood
      running down in a stream."
      The ball had lodged in the flesh of the arm, and did not break any
      bone. The pain came to him after he had reached safety and his arm had
      been tourniqetted. The removal of the ball, without anaesthetic, was
      also very painful. The arm was saved, although Thom and others wished
      for it to be amputated.

      This is, of course, only one example of such a case. It does
      illustrate, however, that in this case, with Ferguson standing in the
      regular British line, the ball did little damage. Also, his body
      initially filtered out the pain. If the ball had hit bone, then the
      story might have been completely different. This single illustration
      cannot be used to generalise, but it is nevertheless interesting.

      I do recall that some enthusiasts in ancient warfare wanted to see how
      well the composite bow worked, and they used pig carcasses. Results
      were predictable - arrows travelling at certain speeds pierce flesh ;->)

      Sincerely
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt.

      On Sunday, November 30, 2003, at 11:00 PM, Larry Lozon wrote:

      > From: "mark dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
      >
      > " it was been 10 years or since my last physics class.  And this
      > still doesn't answer the question to how a human body would react to a
      > musket ball.

      > Mr. Mark,
      >

      >                  It's gunna leave a mark!!!! :^)

      <image.tiff>