WINE MEASURE

  • ebclemson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
      Bob,

      Your question regarding British money, got me thinking (dangerous) and peeping into my 1805 copy of "The Scholars arithmetic or Federal Accountant" by Daniel Adams.

      Knowing how some of us are fond of Wine, (the type you drink <g>).....find below the "Wine Measures"...some of the sizes of containers are very interesting.....

      2 pints MAKE ONE Quart;
      4 quarts MAKE ONE gallon;
      10 gallons MAKE ONE Anchor of Brandy;
      18 gallons MAKE ONE Runlet;
      31 1/2 gallons MAKE ONE half hgshead;
      42 gallons MAKE ONE Tierce;
      63 gallons MAKE ONE hogshead;
      2 hogsheads MAKE ONE pipe or Butt;
      2 pipes MAKE ONE Tun.

      It takes a lot of wine to make a "Tun".

      Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infantry &
      Missouri Rangers.
    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
        Dave,

        Right! Every officers mess should have a butt of Madeira on hand at all
        times! ;^) I'll drink [hic - hic[ to that. <G>

        YO&HS,

        Dr. Bob
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          on 12/1/03 6:54 PM, Armchairadm@... at Armchairadm@... wrote:

          > So much more colorful than the metric system.
          >
          > Ed B.

          Everything is more colourful than the metric system.

          Craig
        • Armchairadm@cs.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003