New book

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28 1:45 PM
      List:
      On a recent trip to the UK I picked up a copy of a new book:

      Andrew Uffindel, The National Army Museum Book of Wellington's Armies:
      Britain's Campaigns in the Peninsula and at Waterloo, 1808-1815.
      London: Sidgwick and Jackson, 2003. ISBN 0 283 07348 9. The cost is
      £30.00 or $66.00 Cdn - rather expensive.

      As others in the series, it follows the chronology of the war, and
      gives extensive quotations from the thousands of primary sources found
      in the Army Museum. It is well-illustrated, but only in B&W. There
      are several pictures I had not seen before.
      Just thought you'd like to know this as you compile your Christmas
      lists.

      Ray Hobbs
      CO 41st Regiment of Foot
      HQ Hamilton, Ontario

      The Canadas 1799-1815

      http://fortyfirst.tripod.com/

    • ray hobbs
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 24, 2005
        List:
        A bit late for Christmas gifts, perhaps. But then there are always
        birthdays.
        I have pampered myself with a fine new book.
        Ian Kelly, Beau Brummell: The Ultimate Dandy (London, UK: Hodder &
        Stoughton, 2005). almost 600 pages.
        It is an extremely well-written book on the man and his times. Some
        excellent insights into the society of Regency London, and Brummell's
        role in the fashion of the period. It was certainly not the modern
        popular perception of him.
        The book contains some nice prints I had never seen before, and they
        are very enlightening.

        In the light of a recent discussion on men wearing, or not wearing hats
        - I found the several prints of indoors interesting. Most of the men
        were wearing hats of various kinds.

        The ISBN is 0 340 83698 9.

        As before - Happy Christmas
        Ray Hobbs
        41st Regt.

        PS: My favourite quote so far.

        "Mr Brummell, Do you like vegetables?"
        Pause...
        "Hmm. I do recall at one time having eaten a pea!"

      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 28, 2007
          List:
          A new book is out today in bookstores:

          Jon Latimer, 1812: War with America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University
          Press, 2007. (pp. 635) ISBN -13:978-0-674-02584-4

          It is a detailed study of the war (look at the number of pages!!) and
          will take its place alongside Hitsman and Stanley as standard
          treatments of the war, although I think it is better-written than both.

          Jon is British, and is the only British author to write a full-scale
          treatment on the war. It is ironic that he had to have it published in
          the States, since no British publishers were interested. As he cites in
          his introduction It is not that the British have forgotten the events
          in North America between 1812 and 1815 "for they have been known
          there."

          Happy reading
          Yrs etc.
          Ray Hobbs

        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 28, 2007
            List;
            One small correction to my previous posting. The word "not" should be
            inserted into the citation - then it makes much better sense :(
            Ray
            41st

            On 28-Aug-07, at 4:57 PM, Ray Hobbs wrote:

            > List:
            > A new book is out today in bookstores:
            >
            > Jon Latimer, 1812: War with America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University
            > Press, 2007. (pp. 635) ISBN -13:978-0-674-02584-4
            >
            > It is a detailed study of the war (look at the number of pages!!) and
            > will take its place alongside Hitsman and Stanley as standard
            > treatments of the war, although I think it is better-written than
            > both.
            >
            > Jon is British, and is the only British author to write a full-scale
            > treatment on the war. It is ironic that he had to have it published in
            > the States, since no British publishers were interested. As he cites
            > in
            > his introduction It is not that the British have forgotten the events
            > in North America between 1812 and 1815 "for they have been known
            > there."
            >
            > Happy reading
            > Yrs etc.
            > Ray Hobbs

          • bolton1812
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

              > List:
              > A new book is out today in bookstores:
              >
              > Jon Latimer, 1812: War with America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard
              University
              > Press, 2007. (pp. 635) ISBN -13:978-0-674-02584-4
              >
              > It is a detailed study of the war (look at the number of pages!!)
              and
              > will take its place alongside Hitsman and Stanley as standard
              > treatments of the war, although I think it is better-written than
              both.

              > Jon is British, and is the only British author to write a full-
              scale
              > treatment on the war. It is ironic that he had to have it
              published in
              > the States, since no British publishers were interested. As he
              cites in
              > his introduction It is not that the British have forgotten the
              events
              > in North America between 1812 and 1815 "for they have been known
              > there."
              >
              > Happy reading
              > Yrs etc.
              > Ray Hobbs

              Ray,
              Are we talking Borders and Barnes and Noble stores? Whats the
              price on this volumn? Thanks.
              Cheers,
              Bob Bolton

            • Ray Hobbs
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
                Bob:
                The Canadian price is $45, which for an 800 page book (almost) is not
                bad.
                I ordered it through my local bookstore, which is not part of a chain.
                I believe it is available through most of the large chains now.
                Ray

                On 2-Sep-07, at 9:42 AM, bolton1812 wrote:

                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > List:
                > > A new book is out today in bookstores:
                > >
                > > Jon Latimer, 1812: War with America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard
                > University
                > > Press, 2007. (pp. 635) ISBN -13:978-0-674-02584-4
                > >
                > > It is a detailed study of the war (look at the number of pages!!)
                > and
                > > will take its place alongside Hitsman and Stanley as standard
                > > treatments of the war, although I think it is better-written than
                > both.
                > >
                > > Jon is British, and is the only British author to write a full-
                > scale
                > > treatment on the war. It is ironic that he had to have it
                > published in
                > > the States, since no British publishers were interested. As he
                > cites in
                > > his introduction It is not that the British have forgotten the
                > events
                > > in North America between 1812 and 1815 "for they have been known
                > > there."
                > >
                > > Happy reading
                > > Yrs etc.
                > > Ray Hobbs
                >
                > Ray,
                > Are we talking Borders and Barnes and Noble stores? Whats the
                > price on this volumn? Thanks.
                > Cheers,
                > Bob Bolton

              • James Yaworsky
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

                  > Bob:
                  > The Canadian price is $45, which for an 800 page book (almost) is not
                  > bad.
                  > I ordered it through my local bookstore, which is not part of a chain.
                  > I believe it is available through most of the large chains now.
                  > Ray

                  Amazon.ca is selling it for $23.23. Release date is listed as
                  September 15.

                  Jim Yaworsky
                • Ray Hobbs
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 23, 2011
                    List:I have just added to my library a new book which relates in part to the War of 1812.
                    Maya Jasanoff, LIberty's Exiles: American Loyalists in a Revolutionary World. New York: A Knopf, 2011. Jasanoff is the author of the brilliant Edge of Empire, which won the prestigious Duff Cooper prize for history in 2005.
                    Her new book is a thorough examination of the aspirations, fears and fate of the loyalists during the revolution, and has a final section dealing with their settlement in Canada, and their ambiguous reaction to the war of 1812.
                    It is a great read, extremely well-written and researched. There is always something new to learn.
                    Yr ServantRay Hobbs

                  • Ray Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 22, 2011
                      Lists:Yesterday I purchased a copy of Jonathon Riley's new book, "A Matter of Honour: The Life, Campaigns and Generalship of Isaac Brock", published by Robin Brass. The author is known to some of us. I read the first chapter and will have the rest for week-end reading (it's going to rain!). What I have read thus far is beautifully written and well-researched, and it bodes well for what follows.Don Graves makes a very interesting point in the intro. The author is an accomplished historian, and a fighting general. He has commanded far more men than ever Brock did, and can offer a unique insight into the context of the subject.Yrs etc.Ray H