M & C

  • Five Rivers
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 17, 2003
      I came at Master and Commander from a slightly different perspective
      than most on the list. Partly went to see Gary's cooperage, which was a
      hoot; to enjoy an evening out and a good film; to view an attempt at an
      historical film; and to see how the adaptation from novel to screenplay was
      handled.

      On the first part saw mostly only Gary's buckets, one tankard, no
      scuttlebutt or rum tub, but that's fine. We three (Gary, our daughter Kelly,
      and I) kept elbowing each other somewhat aggressively everytime cooperage
      came on screen. It's a miracle we have any ribs left. Did notice lots of
      other cooperage aboard ship, some of which looked like it came out of a
      local nursery!

      On the second and third, yes, excellent entertainment, good historical
      accuracy. Fabulous photography, great screenplay, terrific acting, wonderful
      sets/props/etc. Very tight. Well done. Particularly liked the way they
      portrayed clearing away below decks for gunnery. Thought that was
      brilliantly done. Loved the fact they didn't compromise and have modern
      comic relief thrown in.

      On the latter, frankly, thought the film was by far a huge improvement
      of Patrick O'Brian's novels. The screenwriter(s) deserve huge cudos for
      their deft handling of this material. As a writer and editor I was so
      infuriated and frustrated with O'Brian's insistence on marrying the fly
      (extraneous detail), cardboard characters, wandering narrative and complete
      lack of plotting that I often found myself muttering. Well-read on things
      British, Napoleonic and naval he may have been, but write, IMO, the man
      couldn't. It isn't often I give up on a novel. But I came so very close with
      O'Brian's works. At one point in a pique of frustration I actually pitched
      the book across the bed. Realize I'm in a minority here, but that's not
      unusual.

      Good film.

      Lorina
      supplies
      (519) 799-5577, http://www.5rivers.org email: info@...
    • PEGGY Mathews
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 17, 2003
        (snip)
        > On the latter, frankly, thought the film was by far a huge improvement
        >of Patrick O'Brian's novels. The screenwriter(s) deserve huge cudos for
        >their deft handling of this material. As a writer and editor I was so
        >infuriated and frustrated with O'Brian's insistence on marrying the fly
        >(extraneous detail), cardboard characters, wandering narrative and complete
        >lack of plotting that I often found myself muttering. Well-read on things
        >British, Napoleonic and naval he may have been, but write, IMO, the man
        >couldn't. It isn't often I give up on a novel. But I came so very close
        >with
        >O'Brian's works. At one point in a pique of frustration I actually pitched
        >the book across the bed. Realize I'm in a minority here, but that's not
        >unusual.

        Perhaps not so unusual. I picked up one of his books once, and even though
        I love things nautical and books about them, I couldn't/didn't finish it for
        the reasons you describe. Sharpe may have it's faults, but it's rarely
        boring. I do plan to try again with O'Brian's books though.

        Regards,
        Michael

        Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead? Your old favorites are always
        playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!
      • Tom Apple
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 17, 2003
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Five Rivers" <lorina@5...> wrote:

          >>> On the first part saw mostly only Gary's buckets, one tankard, no
          scuttlebutt or rum tub <<<

          Lorina,

          You do see the scuttlebutt briefly, I think, when the castaway
          whalers come on board and are given water. It looked like the
          scuttlebutt right there by the rail where everyone was crowded around
          them. I could have sworn I saw the rum tub flash by in the background
          of one scene early in the film.

          The tendency of Weir using rather tight shots for the main characters
          put alot of the gear out of camera view.

          Regards,

          Tom A.
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
            Well, long after everyone else, I finaly saw the movie in full. There were
            all those points that people have brought up in the past and lots more, but
            something got me. Where did the idea come from that a ship off the coast of Brazil
            might have to return to Porstsmouth come from?
            The North American Station was based on Antigua where a complete dockyard was
            (and is) to be found.

            Just a thought,

            Cheers,

          • suthren@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
              Tim raises a perceptive point that Peter Weir, as scriptwriter, and his
              historical advisor should have known; that adds to the "so near, and yet so
              far..." feeling I and others have about the film. In 1997 I was crewing in a
              brigantine that put into English Harbour, Antigua, and tied up alongside HMS
              ROSE to ships' iron guns projecting upright as bollards, and near the Copper
              & Lumber Yard which was now a superb small restaurant. A diver told me that
              the great chain which lay along the bottom of the harbour, and which the
              ships used to use to warp themselves out to sea, is still there, as so much
              is. One could see SURPRISE setting her topsails out of there, all right....

              Yours aye
              Vic Suthren

              > Well, long after everyone else, I finaly saw the movie in full. There were
              > all those points that people have brought up in the past and lots more,
              but
              > something got me. Where did the idea come from that a ship off the coast
              of Brazil
              > might have to return to Porstsmouth come from?
              > The North American Station was based on Antigua where a complete dockyard
              was
              > (and is) to be found.
              >
              > Just a thought,
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Tim

              square miles...

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                In a message dated 2/1/04 6:52:57 AM, suthren@... writes:

                > that adds to the "so near, and yet so
                > far..." feeling I and others have about the film.

                Another thing I thought I heard (and I might be mistaken) during his anti
                Napoleon 'pep talk' did he say "do you want to see a guillotine set up in
                Trafalgar Square"?

                I know I did a serious mental double take but I later thought 'naaaa, he
                couldn't have said that'!

                Timothy Pickles
                1100 Rue Chartres
                New Orleans
                Louisiana 70116
                Tel & Fax: 504 522 4822
                Mobile: 504 236 7130

              • abateman
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                  From: <BritcomHMP@...>

                  > Another thing I thought I heard (and I might be mistaken) during his anti
                  > Napoleon 'pep talk' did he say "do you want to see a guillotine set up in
                  > Trafalgar Square"?

                  I'm sure he said "Picadilly". That existed in 1805, didn't it?

                  Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
                • suthren@magma.ca
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                    Another log on the fire about M&C's accuracy. A British historical colleague
                    surprisingly observed to me that in his opinion M&C displays, from his point
                    of view, not a British warship's society but a unrestrained, Aussie
                    jolly-cobbers-together atmosphere, and Diggers trying to portray Brits but
                    failing; that Patrick O'Brian's writing is very nice, but all Celtic
                    convolutions (even though "O'Brian" was of Anglo-German background) and
                    romantic, self-conscious preciousness; but that if one wants to sense what
                    it was like in an accurately ENGLISH warship---including the sense of iron
                    self-discipline, restraint and reserve---one still can't beat Forester and
                    the Hornblower books. That same sense of deep restraint---a quality very
                    difficult for us colonials to portray accurately and with proper balance,
                    I'd agree---so idiosyncratic of the British during and since the Georgian
                    era was in, for example, 'Pride and Prejudice', with Colin Firth and
                    Jennifer Ehle. Too bad M&C hadn't been made by those producers or by
                    Marchant & Ivory. Perhaps the best people to make films about Brits are
                    Brits....

                    What say you, mates?

                    Yours aye
                    Vic Suthren

                  • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                      Oops!
                      While we are on the subject of accuracy, and the comment about Brits making the best films about Brits:
                      Russell Crowe - born New Zealand (although he has lived much of his life in Oz)
                      James Ivory - born Berkeley, California, Graduate of UCLA
                      Ismail Merchant - born Bombay India, Graduate of New York U.
                      This, of course, says nothing about the comments on M&C. I am not an expert, so will keep silent on the
                      movie, 'cept to say I enjoyed it.
                      Yrs etc.
                      Ray Hobbs
                      41st Regt.

                      > From: <suthren@...>
                      > Date: 2004/02/01 Sun PM 01:19:30 EST
                      > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

                    • Peter Catley
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                        Hear him, Hear him.

                        But then I could be described as bias :-) but in principal he it is correct,
                        have you ever seen the Brits portraying Aussies or Americans, it doesn't
                        really work.

                        Cheers

                        P**

                        > > far..." feeling I and others have about the film.
                        > >

                        > Another thing I thought I heard (and I might be mistaken) during his anti
                        > Napoleon 'pep talk' did he say "do you want to see a guillotine set up in
                        > Trafalgar Square"?
                        >
                        > I know I did a serious mental double take but I later thought 'naaaa, he
                        > couldn't have said that'!
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Tim
                        >

                        > Timothy Pickles
                        > 1100 Rue Chartres
                        > New Orleans
                        > Louisiana 70116
                        > Tel & Fax: 504 522 4822
                        > Mobile: 504 236 7130

                        square miles...

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        square miles...

                        ---------------------------------
                        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                        American Forces Unit Lisiting
                        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c6v9rob/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroup
                        web/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1075745526/A=1945638/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.com/Defa
                        ult?mqso=60178383&partid=4116732> click here

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
                        l/S=:HM/A=1945638/rand=417364191>

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • suthren@magma.ca
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                          Point well made. Thanks, Ray.

                          Vic Suthren

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                            Vic:
                            I have just seen again (for the umpteenth time) "The Duellists' - directed by a Brit, starring two American
                            actors, about two French light cavalrymen. A superb movie - and the military advisor is a good friend of
                            mine (and he know where the mistakes are!) A marvellous piece of international cooperation.

                            It is a shame that there are not good movies of Forrester and co. I, like many, was raised on the novels.

                            With sincere greetings
                            Ray

                          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                              Greetings from the icy Heart of America,

                              Let's look at the positives. Russel Crowe got nominated for the leading
                              male actor, which will get the movie back into theaters. People will
                              see characters dressed quite like us. Maybe a good opportunity for
                              recruitment. I, like Ray, saw and enjoyed the movie. I portray a
                              surgeon, and didn't go on about self surgery. Enjoy the good! Don't
                              obsess over what is less than historically correct. It's just a movie.
                              ;^)

                              So far the great snow storm is still 100 miles west of KC and we
                              continue to have freezing rain/drizzle and sleet.

                              Warm regards,

                              Bob Dorian
                              Surgeon 14LD, US Engineer & Tanguero
                            • Smaller, Brian C
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                                Ray

                                In 'The Duellists', Keith Carradine played de Hubert (I think that was his
                                name) and a youngish Harvey Keitel the other cavalryman. It also had Albert
                                Finney, Edward Fox and Tom Conti. THere were a lot of other well known
                                English actors as well, but my mind has gone blank. Pete Postlewaite was
                                one I think. I remember watching it once and having a book on Napoelonic
                                Hussar uniforms open and the uniforms were surprisingly good! Your mate did
                                a good job.

                                I actually felt cold in the Retreat from Moscow segment!

                                Brian

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                                  Good point, Bob.
                                  Vic

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                                    Brian;
                                    In the interview with Ridley Scott (it was his first feature movie), he mentions that the whole thing was
                                    done for $900,000, and with a cast of 20-30 extras.
                                    Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the wearing of red trousers for the
                                    7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket worn. the reason was that
                                    the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were still wet!!!!
                                    Just shows, though what can be done with a director intent on making an historically accurate movie.
                                    Others in this style are "Vatel", and "Ridicule" - earlier period, but excellent.
                                    Ray

                                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                                      In a message dated 2/1/04 6:31:48 PM, ray.hobbs@... writes:

                                      > Richard, the military advisor, told me that there was one mistake with the
                                      > wearing of red trousers for the
                                      > 7th Hussars, rather than the green which would have gone with the jacket
                                      > worn. the reason was that
                                      > the green trousers had been used the day before in a rainstorm, and were
                                      > still wet!!!!

                                      Well, as I recall, the general was a 'General of Division' (two lines of gold
                                      embroidery & 2 stars on the eps) but has a general of Brigades sash (shot
                                      through with blue not red). But it was a magnificent film ans one where the
                                      technical advisor and costume designer knew their jobs and were allowed to do them.
                                      If only they were all so good!

                                      Timothy Pickles
                                      1100 Rue Chartres
                                      New Orleans