Re: [WarOf1812] Re: First Parliament goings-on

  • Kevin & Allison Windsor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
      The same thing is being discussed with Lundy's Lane. In the early 60's someone suggested buying/expropriating the battlefield (as they thought it then) and turning it
      into a Niagara Falls Gettysburg. Someone revived it again! I told them the area (about 100 ha overall) and it would cost approx $1,000,000,000.

      john harris wrote:

      > Not to be a jerk, but what are "they" going to do with the site? It's a
      > hole in the ground with some remnants of foundations right? Is the Federal,
      > Provincial, or City government really going to do anything ? Sorry folks
      > but lets be realistic here . They won't spend the money . The MOST you're
      > going to get will be a historic plaque that some urchin will tag . Call
      > city hall ? There's an election right now , no one will stick their neck out
    • Five Rivers
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
        Respectfully, your opinion may in fact be 'life' and quite realistic,
        but not necessarily a reason not to try. There are some startling examples
        internationally of there being sufficient will to preserve heritage while
        allowing for the modern. Take for example Roman ruins under the city of
        Gloucester, England. One can view these through glass floors in public
        venues. Quite amazing. And it still allows archeologists access and
        opportunity to work and discover.

        There is a tremendous example of this in Greece in the subway system
        where ancient ruins, layer upon layer, are shielded behind extensive glass
        walls. Culture and history right there, visible, in a subway station
        platform. And, again, archeologists still have access.

        Sometimes it just takes a little thinking outside the box. And the will.

        So indeed at all levels of government there is change at the moment. But
        that shouldn't be a deterent. We can learn from previous oversights. There
        is a 'can' in 'can't. :-) We have a voice. We can use that voice. Not to is
        as the same as allowing someone else to vote for you.

        Just some thought this morning while trying to deal with brokers and the
        upheaval caused by the changes in cross-border shipping. Sigh.

        Lorina
        supplies
        (519) 799-5577, http://www.5rivers.org email: info@...
      • natty10000
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin & Allison Windsor
          <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
          > The same thing is being discussed with Lundy's Lane. In the early
          60's someone suggested buying/expropriating the battlefield (as they
          thought it then) and turning it
          > into a Niagara Falls Gettysburg. Someone revived it again! I told
          them the area (about 100 ha overall) and it would cost approx
          $1,000,000,000.

          You can't compare a long built-up area like Lundy's Lane (which
          obviously covers a great deal of space) with something like the First
          Parliament site that covers something less than a square block
          presently housing a Budget Rent-a-Truck, a gas station and a
          decrepit, long-empty automotive repair shop. Preserving Lundy's Lane
          battlefield would have had to have been suggested about a decade
          after the War for there to be a fair comparison.

          NOW is the time to be setting this heritage property aside, not a
          decade from now when the area is built up and the property is worth
          10 times what it is now. NOW, things are salvagable; a decade from
          now? Who knows?

          This certainly isn't the time to be throwing in the towel.
          Ian
        • john harris
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2003
            Message: 1
            Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:15:10 -0500
            From: "Five Rivers" <lorina@...>
            Subject: Re: First Parliament goings-on

            Respectfully, your opinion may in fact be 'life' and quite realistic,
            but not necessarily a reason not to try. There are some startling examples
            internationally of there being sufficient will to preserve heritage while
            allowing for the modern. Take for example Roman ruins under the city of
            Gloucester, England. One can view these through glass floors in public
            venues. Quite amazing. And it still allows archeologists access and
            opportunity to work and discover.

            There is a tremendous example of this in Greece in the subway system
            where ancient ruins, layer upon layer, are shielded behind extensive glass
            walls. Culture and history right there, visible, in a subway station
            platform. And, again, archeologists still have access.

            > Those are very good examples of cities that CARE about their heritage and
            not revisionist history . Toronto wants to think that's it's a "World
            Class City ". A world class city would not allow it's waterfront to become
            a shrine to the great Condo god's , by building a 30 story fence keeping the
            people from even seeing the lake .
            If the history is not polictally correct , should we ignore it ? No, not in
            my opinion , but in these days of "British bashing " , no one ( politician )
            is going to stick their neck out to save something that will not either 1-
            give them vote's , 2 - give them press , 3-give them kickbacks .
            Life in the big city eh?
            All in my opinion of course .
            John Harris
            Toronto