Re: Bernard Co rnwell/Sharpe News

  • hm95thfoot
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@c...> wrote:

      > Actually, someone else other than Cornwell has placed him at New
      Orleans. I was searching the web one day and found "Sharpe's Gator"
      at the following address:
      > http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~slaw/SuesPage/Gator/
      >
      > Predictable Sharpe!
      >
      > Ed Seufert
      > 1812 Royal Marines

      Well, it's worth what its price is, I suppose. Fan fiction is more
      for the writer than for the reader. The fellow that wrote it sent me
      an email about it years ago, asking if he should put Sharpe in with
      the 95th who were at Bladensburg. I pointed out to him the trenchant
      correction that the 95th were NOT in the Chesapeake at all (despite
      what some greenjacket types told you at Bladensburg a few years
      ago :^) ), so the fellow changed the venue to New Orleans.

      It's all my fault. It could have been Sharpe's....Crab Cracker! :^)

      RWF

      PS: I asked BC at Kirby Hall in 1999 about a Sharpe's set in
      America, and he said that other than some Canadians, nobody else
      would buy it, since, acc to him, nobody cares or knows about the War
      of 1812. (He apparently also had a bad experience writing about
      British soldiers in American settings in REDCOAT.)