Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Bernard Co rnwell/Sharpe News

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      ---- Original Message -----
      From: Tom Fournier
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 11:40 AM
      Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Bernard Co rnwell/Sharpe News

      Its too bad Sharpe is so busy, it would be great fun to see him shoot
      over to North America for a quick frolic in our time period before
      haeding back to his farmhouse in France in advance of Waterloo!

      Tom, 41st Regiment

      Actually, someone else other than Cornwell has placed him at New Orleans. I was searching the web one day and found "Sharpe's Gator" at the following address:
      http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~slaw/SuesPage/Gator/

      Predictable Sharpe!

      Ed Seufert
      1812 Royal Marines

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • hm95thfoot
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Seufert" <LCpl_RM@c...> wrote:

        > Actually, someone else other than Cornwell has placed him at New
        Orleans. I was searching the web one day and found "Sharpe's Gator"
        at the following address:
        > http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~slaw/SuesPage/Gator/
        >
        > Predictable Sharpe!
        >
        > Ed Seufert
        > 1812 Royal Marines

        Well, it's worth what its price is, I suppose. Fan fiction is more
        for the writer than for the reader. The fellow that wrote it sent me
        an email about it years ago, asking if he should put Sharpe in with
        the 95th who were at Bladensburg. I pointed out to him the trenchant
        correction that the 95th were NOT in the Chesapeake at all (despite
        what some greenjacket types told you at Bladensburg a few years
        ago :^) ), so the fellow changed the venue to New Orleans.

        It's all my fault. It could have been Sharpe's....Crab Cracker! :^)

        RWF

        PS: I asked BC at Kirby Hall in 1999 about a Sharpe's set in
        America, and he said that other than some Canadians, nobody else
        would buy it, since, acc to him, nobody cares or knows about the War
        of 1812. (He apparently also had a bad experience writing about
        British soldiers in American settings in REDCOAT.)