Re: "Partisan" comments

  • ebclemson
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
      I would not be suprised that sometimes the crowd may boo,etc. It is human nature, if in jest and fun understandable, and if in hate, in ignorance but not suprising.

      In my civil War days, I was not only booed but physically attack while at an event in Arkansas, simply because I was talking to "Yanks". What was I thinking! <g>

      It may also depend on what event is being detected. Perhaps....maybe....the Americans would be booed if depicting the attack on York or reenacting the battle of Chippewa. Generally, most people respect the living historians from all sides.

      It is good to read Mike Mathews account at Fort Miegs, that even though the British were "invaders" that he was not booed.

      Dave Bennett

      1st U. States Infy.

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@m...> wrote:
      > I remember at Crysler's Farm in '02 getting lustily booed by the public while marching with the US forces. Frankly didn't bother me one bit. We represented an invading force and the victory was something to be proud of, plus there was a cheerleader of sorts going up and down the rope line from what I heard. (I didn't see him.)
      >
      > Thanks to all the AWI "lobsterback" images and movies like "Patriot" we have nurtured and sustained a dislike for redcoats. At Fort Meigs last year I didn't notice the public showing such poor manners though.
      >
      > Michael M.

    • PEGGY MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
        Well actually I was in the American camp with Plauche's battalion, so may have missed some crowd reactions. However, I would have to say that in my experience the area fans are very knowledgeable and polite. That plus the fine way reenactors are treated there accounts for the ten hour drive I take one or two times each year.

        Michael Mathews
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
          Kevin us spectators on the side lines sometimes boo the American
          forces and being a spectator we don't know if it an actual American
          or a "cross dresser we boo in a jokingly tone of voice.
          Tracy

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin & Allison Windsor
          <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
          > I have noticed that at events south of the border I (we) usually
          get booed going off or coming on the field, and at one event I was
          asked why a good American would want
          > to be a red coat. (he was surprised when I told him we were
          Canadians)
          > Do the American forces get this treatment when they come up here?
          (I know there are a couple of spectators on this list) Do Canadians
          who portray US forces get this? I
          > know we never have when we switch teams, but it could be because we
          are good looking!!

          > Kevin
          > 89th
          >
          > hq93rd wrote:
          >
          > > What a novel concept!
          > > You mean I can now, and finally -- after too many years, look
          forward
          > > to attending events and not having snide comments and looks
          directed
          > > my way (and usually behind my back) simply because I (a born and
          bred
          > > USA-ian) wear a red uniform?
        • hm95thfoot
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy" <tracyforsyth@h...> wrote:
            > Kevin us spectators on the side lines sometimes boo the American
            > forces and being a spectator we don't know if it an actual
            American
            > or a "cross dresser we boo in a jokingly tone of voice.
            > Tracy

            At War of 1812 events we have always, as American citizens
            celebrating the accomplishments and memories of those who fought on
            the side of the Crown, been treated with the utmost courtesy, at
            least by the site staffs and visitors. The people at Ft. Niagara,
            Ft. Erie and Ft. George, as well as the NPS staff at Chalmette
            Battlefield stand out in my mind as being especially courteous and
            respectful.

            Every once in a while we encounter a somewhat misinformed visitor
            (rifle units tend to attract those....), whom we politely let ramble
            on, but most, just about all, really, were tickled pink that we,
            like all the other reenactors, had come to these places. When they
            learned where we were from, some were quite astounded that we had
            come so far, and were all the more appreciative as a result.

            On the Rev War side, if I may, it was especially delicious irony to
            be in French Quebec City and having les citoyens go absolutely mad
            in cheering us British redcoats a few years ago. Something I thought
            I'd never live to see. (Of course, they might have been cheering us
            because "we" saved them from the American invaders in 1775....)

            RWF
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2003
              From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

              The role of the Commentators is often significant.

              ________________

              I have found, since doing the narration at a number of
              events that the commentator's remarks should be equal
              about both sides and remember where you are ......

              It is not nice to pee in the other guys sandbox!

              I also make sure that they understand in order to have a
              battle you need an enemy and some of the enemy are actually
              "YOUR GUYS" cross dressing.

              This usually deters the cat calls. Also with the march past at
              the end of the tactical, especially if I can help it, both sides
              receive good rounds of applause.

              Larry Lozon
            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 6, 2003
                In a message dated 2/11/2003 9:47:29 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                > However in France one section of the British Army have been raised to
                > Sainthood and that is the Highlanders, but only those in kilts I'm afraid
                > Benton.

                My dear Peter,
                Are you insinuating I do not have, nor wear a kilt?
                Tish tosh!
                I lead the Highland Brigade on the "death marches" of 1990 and 1995 through
                the ways and backways of Waterloo and Braine A'llude (sic) clad in kilt,
                sporran and kilt-hose. Being at the head of the column I heard first off the
                ecstatic cries of "Eccosais!!" from the locals, and watched the glasses of beer
                appear out of pubs and houses to be offered the lads. I was also present at Boulgne
                in '95, seeing more of the same.
                Now, as I follow regs and as an Highland officer wear trousers and boots in
                the field, does not mean I know nothing of kilts!

                Yours, most bombastically,
                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com